AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the reason to round the ends of the pvc?
As mentioned above the chamfering is important for all PVC connections, however you don't have to do it quite to the extreme you see in the pics above. Just a little bit of sanding to knock off the sharp edge is really all that is needed. The whole purpose of rounding it is to prevent the sharp edge from scraping away the glue as the pieces fit together.
FWIW, I definitely do this if I'm working on any PVC for my house. For tanks, I do it if it's a pressurized connection like that used for return pumps or closed loops. I don't bother doing it for drain lines because those are never exposed to any pressure and therefore their chances of developing a leak after gluing are very small.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As mentioned above the chamfering is important for all PVC connections, however you don't have to do it quite to the extreme you see in the pics above.

Is this better? Picture is from Bill Wann's MACNA presentation, "Everything you wanted to know about aquarium plumbing.” Using a router or chamfer tool looks nicer than a sander. ;)

6ACEF04E-6FDA-4997-A11E-8554BAE8666F_zps0473jt5w.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As for external overflow support, I decided to go with Unistrut metal framing and clamps to support all my PVC plumbing for the project. I sent the metal framing out for professional powder coating to blend with the tank and stand design.

Last edited:

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I wasn’t criticizing! Your build (including the plumbing) is shaping up to be the most meticulous and awesome on R2R. Chamfer away my friend! ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh I wasn’t criticizing! Your build (including the plumbing) is shaping up to be the most meticulous and awesome on R2R. Chamfer away my friend! ;)

Thanks, Jason! I purchased this Chamfer tool from Amazon which makes chamfering PVC pipe so much easier and cleaner than using an orbital sander. ;)

41xQXVQSKlL.jpg
51TDS+Ob2aL.jpg

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blast from the past. My Reef Raft Canada Gold Stick arrived from the first and only release in 2012. When we moved to our new house in 2013, it was one of a few survivors but went dormant for almost 5 years until recently.

First picture is the original RRC Gold Stick mother colony

Second picture is my RRC Gold Stick colony photographed under daylight halides recently. :)

Last edited:

seldon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for external overflow support, I decided to go with Unistrut metal framing and clamps to support all my PVC plumbing for the project. I sent the metal framing out for professional powder coating to blend with the tank and stand design.

Looks sharp. Didn't want to have the clamps coated as well?

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its a nice tool but unfortunately does not fit my 1.5" Schedule 80 PVC pipe. Works well on 1" pipe though.

Oh that's nice! I might have to get me one of those for my next plumbing project. It's like a pencil sharpener for PVC, lol

Sounds good, Corey. Will probably need help installing the light fixtures. :)

Tim, please do. I would love to come see then setup again and see the progress. And maybe pick up a few more pieces from you!:rolleyes:

I posted a picture of my old RORI unit on page 37 of this build thread. It was a 75 GPD RODI unit Russ at Buckeye Field Supply (AKA Buckeye Hydro) built for me years ago. Worked well for many years too.

What were you using before the RODI unit?

I will post some pictures of the rock layout when the lights are installed. ;)

Amazing stuff do you have any updates on the scape of this tank?

Thanks for the compliment. I actually had some nuts, bolts and washers powder coated as well but decided against coating over the threads and clamps (ie, the clamp fasteners powder coat would chip or flake off when adjusted).

Looks sharp. Didn't want to have the clamps coated as well?

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another blast from the past. My Red Matrix from Jared arrived in 2011 if I recall. When we moved to our new house in 2013, it was another survivor but went dormant for years until recently. :)

The original RMF Red Matrix mother colony

My recent top down photographs of Jared's Red Matrix (under daylight halides)

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another round of new arrivals ... all these frags arrived a few weeks ago and survived my QT and dips! ;)

WWC King Fiji (not pictured)
BC Battlestag (not pictured)
RRC Aussie Gold (not pictured)
Unnamed Purple Millepora (not pictured)
RMF Lucky Charms
RMF Psychoberry
RMF Phoenix
RMF Ice Age Granulosa
Pink Panther Table
(not pictured)
Sapphire Millepora

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back