AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a random question for you: What do you use for algae control in your grow out tanks? Snails? Tangs? Urhins? etc
Also, how long do you run your lights each day? Do you feed your corals? What kind of Nitrate and Phosphate readings do you usual see?
Thx!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will let you know when I am ready to hang the lights. I will need you then. Will text you with advance notice. Thanks, Corey!

Tim let me know or shoot me a text, I’ll come hat way and lend a hand and take a few Frags off your hands to go with he ones I got from you in December

Corey

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a random question for you: What do you use for algae control in your grow out tanks? Snails? Tangs? Urhins? etc
Also, how long do you run your lights each day? Do you feed your corals? What kind of Nitrate and Phosphate readings do you usual see?
Thx!

I use trochus snails and various tangs for the grow-out system. I would love to add urchins but not practical (ie, they would bulldoze my corals). I do plan to add a few urchins to the 600g tank. Those corals will be epoxy glued to large rocks. I run my lights 8 hours daily. I do not feed the corals but feed my fish often, which in turn, feeds the corals. I have not tested for nitrates or phosphates for years but can assure you I run a dirty system, no where near zero. A large skimmer and weekly water changes is my preferred method to keeping my fish and corals happy.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw in the middle of the thread that you were running a carbon reactor. Do you run it 24/7?
And are you happy with the brs rox? And quick pros and cons would be awesome.
I have used it randomly but was under the mindset it would strip the water.
Thanks Ryan

I stopped using the rox carbon a while back. I do not use any form of carbon now. I purchased the brs rox in bulk, its premium carbon, but is sitting idle in my basement factory sealed. Its cost prohibitive to ship but would love to find a new home for it.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Unicorn Mane arrived in January of 2017. Please refer back to page 44 on my build thread for more photographs and a brief history of my Red Matrix. It has been with me for many years. It is very unique indeed.

How long since you had jared’s Red matrix and unicorn mane ? Both are very unique acros and would love to get my hands on them .

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use trochus snails and various tangs for the grow-out system. I would love to add urchins but not practical (ie, they would bulldoze my corals). I do plan to add a few urchins to the 600g tank. Those corals will be epoxy glued to large rocks. I run my lights 8 hours daily. I do not feed the corals but feed my fish often, which in turn, feeds the corals. I have not tested for nitrates or phosphates for years but can assure you I run a dirty system, no where near zero. A large skimmer and weekly water changes is my preferred method to keeping my fish and corals happy.
Tim
I wouldnt do any urchins in your new system. I added a long spine urchin and flame angel to my tank around the same time. I started seeing corals being eaten so I automatically thought the flame angel was the culprit so I caught and sold him. Several days later there was more coral damage. Finally Lazylivin suggested it was the urchin and sure enough it was. Was actually climbing my cali tort and eating the tips off of it.
Jeff

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the tips, Jeff! For those who don't know my friend jjoos99, he is the best! Jeff has been apart of every major tank move I have endured going back over a decade. Still recall those days when Jeff helped me move a 300g aquarium down the stairs to my basement of my second house, twice!!! (ie, first 300g tank had issues and was replaced). He also recently served as my primary backup for vacations too. :)

Tim
I wouldnt do any urchins in your new system. I added a long spine urchin and flame angel to my tank around the same time. I started seeing corals being eaten so I automatically thought the flame angel was the culprit so I caught and sold him. Several days later there was more coral damage. Finally Lazylivin suggested it was the urchin and sure enough it was. Was actually climbing my cali tort and eating the tips off of it.
Jeff

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s this one?

Also what size tiles are you using?

It think it was some type of Cotton Candy from a West Coast vendor. Not certain so the name was not listed. It arrived browned out and took years to blossom.

I primarily use the 3" coral frag tiles from Ocean Wonders for grow-out. ;)

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the tips, Jeff! For those who don't know my friend jjoos99, he is the best! Jeff has been apart of every major tank move I have endured going back over a decade. Still recall those days when Jeff helped me move a 300g aquarium down the stairs to my basement of my second house, twice!!! (ie, first 300g tank had issues and was replaced). He also recently served as my primary backup for vacations too. :)
thanks for the kind words. Maybe all your tank moves is why I have a bad back:) For those that can't picture the size of Tim's new tank it took about 10 guys to pick the tank and stand up and move it into the proper location. Took all of 5 minutes but the visit and pizza was great.
I have a small cutting of the dfs pink panther for you whenever we meet up again. I'm sure I will be able to find something to trade it for from your vast collection. Hard part will be deciding which one:mad: If you need extra help with the lights just holler.
Jeff

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back