OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I really appreciate your comments and support!

heck of a build. Top notch all the way.

Thank you, Ryan!

Awesome, just awesome.

Will start adding fish when I get back from vacation. It will give me some time to finalize what types of fish will be added, although I have a good idea it will include some Hawaiian yellow tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens). John Coppolino (copps) years ago gave me some tips on adding a school of pygmy (cherub) angelfish which I may add as well. I lost a black tang (Zebrasoma rostratum) a few years ago and would like to add another to this project as well.

fish in?!?!! Love this thread

Changing from 14K to 20K halides makes the corals really pop but I did not observe much difference long term from running daylight spectrum versus the 20K (white color with blue tint) spectrum. Growth is about the same. Some corals look better under daylight and some look better under the 20K spectrum. It really comes down to personnel preference. I try to keep my grow-out system around 9.6 to 10 dKH for alkalinity and 450 to 500 ppm for calcium. I plan to add just small fragments of corals I really like to the large display from my grow-out system. If something happens, I will still be able to have duplicates if needed.

What sort of differences have you noticed with the change of 14k to 20k? You seemed pretty set on daylight spectrum all the way throughout the bulk of this thread. Why did you decide to change?

What do you run your alkalinity and calcium at on your grow out tanks? The colors on those colonies are really spectacular. If you ever actually put corals in the reef savvy tank are you going to remove them from the 3x3 tiles? What is your plan/strategy for mounting them?

I realize that due to your having a phenomenal grow out system running, it has allowed you the time to be deliberate and careful, but come on man-at some point you are going to have to just take the plunge and actually make that a display tank instead of a giant display of equipment 99% of people here will never be able to afford.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I finally finished hanging the lights and ballasts. I had an electrician come out again to assist as the project keeps changing. Was never a fan of big reef builds and spaghetti wires going everywhere. Cable/wire management matters to me which is why it took a while to figure out what would work best for my build.

52A892F4-BFCE-4AAC-AB0F-592A2F10491A.jpeg
05BA99EC-5985-4FCF-A2E7-959741EAD0FE.jpeg
AD59C984-9C07-4788-9F62-407DF3311E98.jpeg

Last edited:

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply concerning parameters. Have you found growth to be faster running the higher alk? I had read there’s a good sweet spot for growth with good coloration around the alk you are running (with more nutrients as well), versus running low nutrient and low alk which apparently is for maximal color but slow growth. Have you found that to be the case in your experience?

I also would ask the same question above about that being your final scape? It appears to me that you have 6 equal sized, roundish rocks from what I can tell from photos. Do you have any other pics of the scape?

Are you going to try and grow corals along the bare bottom?

I know you’ve been in the hobby a while, but have you used the sea swirls before? They are great products IME, but they will dislodge and the elbow falls off down into the tank periodically. Just a cautionary tip to remember when placing corals so a falling nozzle won’t cause damage to prized corals.

Thanks for the information, and you really have some spectacular corals.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will post a few full tank shots of my rock layout for you soon. It’s the final scape consisting of three islands of large Pukani live rock (11 rocks total).

Is this the final scape looks like it will have a ton of depth and look Awsome once grown in :)

I also would ask the same question above about that being your final scape? It appears to me that you have 6 equal sized, roundish rocks from what I can tell from photos. Do you have any other pics of the scape?

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appreciate your compliment! Over the years, I have seen some amazing SPS reefs thriving in low alk, high alk and everything in between. Years ago I ran a high alk SPS system with phenomenal growth. My point is to just find your sweet spot when it comes to water parameters and SPS corals and try to keep those parameters as stable as possible. Growth and color will follow when your corals are happy. Stability is key.

Have you found growth to be faster running the higher alk? I had read there’s a good sweet spot for growth with good coloration around the alk you are running (with more nutrients as well), versus running low nutrient and low alk which apparently is for maximal color but slow growth. Have you found that to be the case in your experience?

Thanks for the information, and you really have some spectacular corals.

CrazedMaverick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing to see, just started this hobby my 95 gallon is just 4 months in and I feel like I was patient. Love seeing big tanks like these. Already got some great ideas from watching this build and thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the amazing compliment and feel free to use whatever ideas I incorporated into this project for your build as well.
This is amazing to see, just started this hobby my 95 gallon is just 4 months in and I feel like I was patient. Love seeing big tanks like these. Already got some great ideas from watching this build and thank you for sharing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back