AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I was there 2 years ago and I couldn't find a single yellow Tang or flame angel in 3 different islands. Look like the fish ban is working.

The professionals from the ODNR and the scientists from the Honolulu Aquarium said there was never an issue with collection of aquarium fish. It was a guy that goes by the name of “Snorkel Bob” and a few other activists that made this an issue. The politicians overreacted. That being said, yellow tangs and flame angels are now being bred in captivity so they are still available.

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is easily one of my favorite threads on R2R!! Visited because I’m a big Reef Savvy fan and getting ready to put a deposit down on a much much smaller tank, and got the bonus of all these incredible photos you’ve taken! Unreal. Please keep them coming and best wishes!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, Lil Elroy for the amazing compliment!

This is easily one of my favorite threads on R2R!! Visited because I’m a big Reef Savvy fan and getting ready to put a deposit down on a much much smaller tank, and got the bonus of all these incredible photos you’ve taken! Unreal. Please keep them coming and best wishes!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did some maintenance in my grow-out system recently and accidentally knocked off the center portion of my JF Jolt colony. Now I have two Jolt mini colonies.

1567560205626.png

Last edited:

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new chamfer tool arrived today. The first tool I purchased only worked on PVC pipe up to 1.25". My new chamfer tool (Reed DEB1-2IPS) bevels larger PVC pipe up to 2.” I will need both tools finish my plumbing project.

do you have a link to where you bought these chamfer tools?

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was not difficult once I considered the alternative, Jeff. Without proper structural PVC support, my external overflow box could fail overtime. But yes, drilling into a custom Chris Benner built furniture quality stand is like ... the feeling you get when you hear the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard. Painful but necessary.

How hard was it to take a drill and screws to that beautiful wood stand? :rolleyes:
Jeff

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read through my entire build thread to date. It's a long journey but the best is yet to come my friend. Stay tuned.

@aquavista99, I just spent the last couple hours reading this from the beginning and I'm absolutely floored. Amazing build and amazing corals. I'm super stoked for you.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, Dave and you absolutely are correct about that black sand beach location ... at the bottom of the Pololu valley floor. Simply breathtaking views!

Plumbing is looking great! Thanks for sharing the Hawaii pics too. Isn't that black sand beach (Polulu Valley?) amazing? One of my favorite Hawaii spots for sure.

1568177749853.png

1568178615680.png

1568178660900.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% agree with everything you stated, mwilk19! Snorkel Bob's commercial footprint is everywhere on the Hawaiian Islands ...12 locations total spread across Maui, Oahu, Big Island and Kauai. I bet all the sunscreen from his snorkel customers is not good for the reefs either. Hawaii's new reef safe sunscreen law goes into effect in 2021.
The fish ban is just for the Big Island if I recall.

The professionals from the ODNR and the scientists from the Honolulu Aquarium said there was never an issue with collection of aquarium fish. It was a guy that goes by the name of “Snorkel Bob” and a few other activists that made this an issue. The politicians overreacted. That being said, yellow tangs and flame angels are now being bred in captivity so they are still available.

1568179346801.png

1568179399122.png

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@aquavista99 just went through 52 pages, whoa.
2 questions. 1. Did you ever get to Aruba? 2. Is this very patient build running yet? I saw water in the tank but the sump is dry right?
BTW I still use my Euro-reef to this day. If it isn't broke don't fix it.
Truly awesome everything.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, Silent! We will eventually make it to Aruba. Its been tabled for other destinations but still very high on my list. Family wants to visit Kauai next. The big tank is wet but have not transferred livestock over yet.

@aquavista99 just went through 52 pages, whoa.
2 questions. 1. Did you ever get to Aruba? 2. Is this very patient build running yet? I saw water in the tank but the sump is dry right?
BTW I still use my Euro-reef to this day. If it isn't broke don't fix it.
Truly awesome everything.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few updated pictures from my grow-out system. Natural daylight photographs under halide lights.

Tyree Purple Unknown

BC Frankenberry 2.0

Sexy Corals Orange Passion

Reef Raft Canada Pink Cadillac

RMF Blueberry Special

MattV Peter Pan

RMF Red Gecko

Surf & Turf

TGC Insidious

Jason Fox Jolt

Jason Fox Fox Flame

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back