Avast Marine DIY Skimmer Swabbie Kit Install | Nyos Quantum 300

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just did a quick video on how to install and setup the Avast Marine Works DIY skimmer swabbie, if you have any questions let me know.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on your video. I'm one of the lazier types who paid the extra $35 to have Avast retrofit the Swabbie onto my Nyos Quantum 160 lid for me.

I absolutely love my Swabbie!
IMG_2913.jpg

Chris Fournier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to setup a Swabbie on my Nyos 160 as well. I can't seem to get the blade to fit within the neck. I ordered a "small" size blade. Is there a modification that needs to be made? The back of the black piece drags against the other side of the cup.

Curious how you got yours working.

Thanks!
Chris

Nice job on your video. I'm one of the lazier types who paid the extra $35 to have Avast retrofit the Swabbie onto my Nyos Quantum 160 lid for me.

I absolutely love my Swabbie!
IMG_2913.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to setup a Swabbie on my Nyos 160 as well. I can't seem to get the blade to fit within the neck. I ordered a "small" size blade. Is there a modification that needs to be made? The back of the black piece drags against the other side of the cup.

Curious how you got yours working.

Thanks!
Chris

Yes, I had to use a razor knife and straight edge to trim down the wiper before it would fit in my Nyos 160.

Chris Fournier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks!

Also, did you need to adapt the drain tube from the Nyos 160 to fit the skimmate locker barb? Seems like that is not an easy fit as well.

Thanks!

Yes, I had to use a razor knife and straight edge to trim down the wiper before it would fit in my Nyos 160.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks!

Also, did you need to adapt the drain tube from the Nyos 160 to fit the skimmate locker barb? Seems like that is not an easy fit as well.

Thanks!

My drain tube fit the locker fine. It’s snug, but it wasn’t difficult to attach.

Chris Fournier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it.

Once you trimmed your blade, were you able to get the swabbie to stop twisting the skimmer lid? I trimmed a bit, but maybe not enough and when I turn it on, the motor spins the lid since nothing is holding the lid down.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it.

Once you trimmed your blade, were you able to get the swabbie to stop twisting the skimmer lid? I trimmed a bit, but maybe not enough and when I turn it on, the motor spins the lid since nothing is holding the lid down.

If it’s twisting the lid, you probably need to trim a little more off the blade or adjust the position so it’s not putting too much pressure on the neck.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back