AVOID CARIBBEAN BLUE AQUATICS IN BAYSHORE!! READ long islanders!

hoopz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Long Island reefers, wanted to put a warning out to avoid Caribbean blue in bayshore for a multitude of reasons. Just recently two friends and I drove down to the store and purchased one fish each. All fish being of decent size/price; tangs, triggers, etc.

Within 3 days of being in the home aquariums, all developed Ich worse than I've seen, and ALL perished, we went in with pictures, receipts etc
So guess what? No money back, because "he isn't there to determine the conditions of our aquariums". Take note this is after we showed pictures of happy SPS color/growth. So to top it off, we are told that we create problems and headaches in this hobby returning fish. I won't get into numbers, but anyone who knows anything about reef tanks of a decent size, is that they are anything but cheap. My point for saying this is because I went on to tell the owner how much money I have spent in his store and how many people I have sent there originally (two years ago)...he then tells me "you've probably spent like 50$ here", word for word.

Aside from this individual story, the store has gone so downhill over the past year and a half. Fish getting sick left and right, dead fish found constantly floating in tanks in store (I've pointed out on MANY occasions), corals ALL browning, very rarely anything exclusive or colorful, same selection of corals for years, specifically the sps tanks with the uniform low contrast browning out look of everything.

Also take note I've stepped foot in this store probably over 100 times (no exaggeration) and spent well over $7,000 over the course of two tanks.. And built a good relationship with the staff members and new everyone on a first name basis as well as them knowing me. The owner takes month long trips regularly to Indonesia where all corals are corals are also flown in from. It's a pretty evident from the moment you walk in the store that the corals are not Australian or even worth a second look (most of them), and never will be for the fact that the owners wife is from Indonesia and they have a cultural tie there and won't go elsewhere.

I will say one thing, majority of the staff is helpful, but unfortunately when a store is run by an arrogant, disrespectful person like the one at Caribbean blue, it will usually only see decline in business.

I know myself and two others will never step foot in this store again and I hope anyone reading this will support other stores that are SIGNIFICANTLY better with much rarer corals and fish such as aquarium village in westbury, or tropical island in deer park. Country critters, aqua hut, magic isle, Caribbean blue ALL GARBAGE. And this is coming from somebody who lives in the middle of all four stores I just named but would rather drive 40 minutes further to avoid them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I love nothing more than to walk into a store and feel welcomed, the way tropical island and aquarium village do, instead of getting a nasty "know it all" attitude from employees who think they're on a throne.

Take care fellow reefers!

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a dang shame.
Ive spent thousands at that store in the past, but have not in a long while because I had to move.

I almost can't believe it, but if you're right, that is a heartbreaker because I used to love that store.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you didn't QT the fish? A very common and necessary practice when acquiring new fish. So none got treated for parasites?
I'm sorry for you loss however I wouldn't have refunded your money, nor replaced the fish either after 3 days. Most LFS only have a 24hr guarantee.
You've been there 100 times, spending $7k and you've lost 1 fish, yet they are now the most horrible store ever?! Sounding a bit vindictive to me.

Tim P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought hoopz87 was originally reporting on Aquarium Village before he mentioned that as being one of his new "go-tos." Everytime I walk in that store I cringe because of deplorable conditions and an arrogant and unsociable owner. I walk in with a coffee during breaks at work every once in a while, thinking this will be the time its a pleasure...nope.
I've never had a bad experience at Caribbean Blue. Great prices on most dry goods, healthy fish from my 2 years going, decent sps for an LFS...this isn't Jason Fox ppl, great clean up crew tanks and wonderful euphyillia and other softies. 3 days is a long time to ask for a refund, I know for a fact AV doesn't offer that, at least for me. Shame reviews like this come out first on Google. Ruining a really good LFS with vindictive comments

i'll agree on Tropical Island. Another great store. Pets Warehouse in Copiague is usually top notch too.

Last edited:

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef has been setup (again) since Sept. and I've been actively going back to Caribbean Blue.
The store is as great as it always was. The staff really help out and have a great knowledge base.
Their prices are still the best on the island, because of their selection.

I have three heads of Acros that I bought for $60. Back in November. All three heads have colored up and are growing at an amazing rate.

I would recommend CBA to anyone looking for a great reef store on LI.

blue meanies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been back to this store recently? I first went there about a month ago and was impressed with their selection, price and apparent quality of their corals. I am wondering if their has been a change.

I bought some frogspawn, hammers, mushrooms, sea squirts, 4 gobies and a cleaner shrimp. Except for one gobie crushed in an accidental rock collapse (my bad), and for the shrimp being attacked by my Possum Wrasse (my ignorance), all are thriving. Of course, all corals get dipped in CoralRx before entering my tank (I don't quarantine fish because I don't have time to maintain a second tank for that, but I do acclimate them with a slow drip).

I have to say that the woman who helped me seemed very knowledgable, and being a Monday, voluntarily extended the 40% discount they had run that weekend on my entire purchase. Perhaps someone has taken the complaints to heart?

Mopartech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a splendid leopard wrasse last Saturday. It's doing fine. I've gotten most of my livestock from them. I have no complaints.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can promise their fish is healthy and will never get sick. That's why so many seasoned reefers strongly recommend QT. I am not sure I'd say a LFS is bad because i got a fish from it and the fish got sick after I brought it home.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shop there every other week. Best prices for maricultured sps colonies on the island. Fish can get ich due to many reasons, and my experience has been excellent with them.
The staff treats me well and I think it is a great store. 85% of my tank's sps came from there, and everything is healthy going strong to this day.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go in there all the time for both saltwater and freshwater fish and I have never had a bad experience. The staff is all very nice and always helpful. They never have a problem feeding fish before buying or answering any question you have. It is unfortunate you had a bad experience there, but certainly not warranted to advise all of Long Island to avoid them.

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went there today for first time
Great store, has corals and fish i c nowhere else on the island
Good prices and the lady (Ria) who helped me today was awesome and knowledgable , and dipped our corals b4 bagging the.....
Was a nice drive for me and i will be back......

gmcc14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go in there all the time for both saltwater and freshwater fish and I have never had a bad experience. The staff is all very nice and always helpful. They never have a problem feeding fish before buying or answering any question you have. It is unfortunate you had a bad experience there, but certainly not warranted to advise all of Long Island to avoid them.

I go there all the time, never had a bad experience. The staff are helpful and knowledgeable. They have a great selection of fish, inverts and coral, all of which appear healthy. Their prices are fair, no complaints from me.

Laylla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for places to buy small coral from. I purchased a cockatiel dwarf cichlid from Caribbean Blue a number of years ago and he was awesome. I lost him recently at about 5 years old. They have always been pleasant and professional. I have both salt and fresh. I have purchased a clown loach from Magic Isle and have no issues with him. He is currently about 4 years old and 9 inches long. Sadly, Paul's store was severely damaged in a fire earlier in the year and many fish and animals perished. As far as Country Critters, aside from their somewhat gruff attitudes, their coral reefs look amazing as well as many of their tanks. They have some fish such as Sea Dragons that look absolutely awesome.

As someone who works in the pet and aquarium industry myself, I come across people like yourself quite a bit. If I may offer a bit of advice: Careful how many bridges you burn; the aquaria crowd is a tight knit one.

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn't read the whole thread just putting my thoughts in a lot of fish I have bought from Caribbean blue was aggressive and sold to me as they would be okay..

for example, they sold me a neon goby which was my worst buy ever it bugs a ******* eel lol

Aside from that 4/6 fish from them died. They sell the fish right out of the box when I go to advanced marine aquatics they literally will not sell me a fish if it just came in, hasn't been eating good, or doesn't look right.

for some reason everyone in the LIRA loves Caribbean blue they are over hyped lol period that is a 45-minute drive no way in hell I'm taking that drive again.

I had awful experiences at Caribbean the Asian lady is quite rude in my opinion. Another time I was talking to my friend I had ordered salt from PetSmart 50% off 30$ for 160-gallon bucket. The employee with a beard over heard me EDIT: TONY i think? and took offence that I wasn't buying salt from them had to chime in and say we sell reef crystals the cheapest in an arrogant tone or maybe i just took it like that..
They are the lfs all hobbyist hype up when i got back into the hobby they sold me so much crap that wasnt reef safe they claimed would be i didnt do all my research so its my fault. Happy i found a couple other stores that are honestly way way cooler.
going to leave it at that.

Last edited:

JTemps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this is a dated thread, I feel compelled to respond, due to the personal nature of your negative comments. I’ve been going to Caribbean Blue for a long time, bought live aquaria as well as tanks, stands, lighting, rock, chemicals, you name it. Tony and Ria couldn’t be nicer! They have deep knowledge that they readily share with anyone. In my experience, they would never sell a fish out of a shipment box - just the opposite - they suggest I wait a week to allow acclimation. They are just the kind of local business we should support- honest, hard working, and dedicated. I see them there 7 days a week, and they have deservedly earned my respect and business.

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony can have an attitude at times and can be rude in his responses that are mostly snide remarks. I try not to deal with him. Ria is fine. I have seen a tremendous jump in price the past few months there though and diminishing health on fish/coral. My go to stores are pets warehouse in copaigue, patchogue, and tropical island. I have never been to aquarium village, its very far. But plan to try and get there in the future.

Eddiefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a truck driver on Long Island many years until early 2000's, I covered almost all the pet stores that carried saltwater. Anytime I'd see a new one I'd stop and have a look see. I can say the best one's I've ever been to was Country critters and Aqua hut in Coram. Country critters used to be owned by two brothers who I would always see there, and they are the one's who had that shop in tip top shape, with every saltwater fish, coral, inverterbrate you can think of. Once they sold it, it wasn't the same. That goes for many stores though. Aquahut is still there, though, and are excellent. But I still miss the old owners of country critters. Just my two cents. Carribean blue I have never been too.

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a truck driver on Long Island many years until early 2000's, I covered almost all the pet stores that carried saltwater. Anytime I'd see a new one I'd stop and have a look see. I can say the best one's I've ever been to was Country critters and Aqua hut in Coram. Country critters used to be owned by two brothers who I would always see there, and they are the one's who had that shop in tip top shape, with every saltwater fish, coral, inverterbrate you can think of. Once they sold it, it wasn't the same. That goes for many stores though. Aquahut is still there, though, and are excellent. But I still miss the old owners of country critters. Just my two cents. Carribean blue I have never been too.
Living right down the road from aqua hut I usually only go the for dry goods. The live stock (no experience with fresh water) is pathetic. Dead fish in the tanks , anemones under no light. The store itself is in terrible shape, water all over the floors , rusty outlets over the tanks. The owner is a nice guy but his other employees not so much. The a big guy who works there who can’t be bothered with people and his eyes are glued to his phone. They have grown there coral selection but corals for the most part are unhealthy and the healthy corals are covered in algae. Price wise you can’t beat them but I would never put one of there fish in my established reef system. I also tend to ask questions to gauge the knowledge of of the staff and I’ve gotten questionable answers from staff who “knows” there stuff. I’m sorry but aqua hut is FAR from excellent

I would definitely take a trip to carribean blue. They have a great invert section and fish stock is often healthy. I don’t be corals from there as I get all my corals from TJM corals in west Islip.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back