AWC (Auto Water Change) for AIO / Nano Tanks

jafoca11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All-

I am just getting back into reefing after being out for the past ~12+ years and have a Biocube 32 set up (again - this is the same tank I had before, but with fancy LEDs now!). Back when I was in reefing before, auto water changes were not really a thing. I definitely see the advantages - less carrying buckets, more consistent performance, etc.

The issue I am seeing is that I am not sure what solutions there are out there that are suitable to AIO tanks besides maybe the DOS - and an Apex+DOS combination would cost over 3x what I paid for the actual tank I am running!

The Auto Aqua solution _might_ work, but requires an additional pump in the tank where space is already at a premium.

So - if you have an AIO and AWC - how are you doing it? Any lessons learned? Is it worth spending $$$$ on a DOS?

Thanks!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can provide a reservoir, several options are available for less than $100. I use one of the ReefBreeders system. XP Aqua is another. The Tunze Osmolator comes in a couple of versions, About $100 for the nano tank version and $200 for larger tanks.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can provide a reservoir, several options are available for less than $100. I use one of the ReefBreeders system. XP Aqua is another. The Tunze Osmolator comes in a couple of versions, About $100 for the nano tank version and $200 for larger tanks.
I think you’re referring to ATOs. OP is asking about Auto Water Change systems (AWC).

jabx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do this myself but if you're really set on AWC you could always just buy a couple simple dosing pumps (BRS, etc..) and have one pull water out of the tank into a drain and one from a container with fresh saltwater.
It shouldn't be too hard after you calibrate the pumps and dial in the flow rate 1:1.

Mooneyhan22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small pump from Amazon mounted above the refugium in chamber 2 of my Biocube and I use a reefkeeper controller to trigger the timer sequence. To mount the pump I super glued it to a piece of acrylic. The pump is set to come on for 2 minutes and it triggers an alarm that cuts the main pump off. When the main pump cuts off the water level rises and the WC pump removes about a 1/2 gallon of water. The WC pump cuts off and triggers another alarm to cut off the ATO pump and cuts on the fresh salt water pump. Both the ATO and fresh saltwater pump are controlled by a float switch in chamber 3.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a small tank like a biocube manual weekly water changes would be so minimal That I wouldn’t even consider an awc personally :)

OP
OP
jafoca11

jafoca11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I have been looking at the doser side a bit. The DOS and maybe the EcoTech Versa have been the ones that people seem to look at the most because of they move larger volume and are rated for more continual action than the other dosers.

On the other hand, maybe for a nano tank, smaller volume of some of the other dosers is ok because you might want to do at most 1 gallon per day....

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea - but I have to make RO in my basement and my tank is in my kitchen so buckets and stairs... eww...
You will still have to move the water from place to place with a awc ? otherwise how’s the awc getting the water to perform the water change or am I missing something ;Sour

OP
OP
jafoca11

jafoca11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will still have to move the water from place to place with a awc ? otherwise how’s the awc getting the water to perform the water change or am I missing something ;Sour
Running something like the DOS, you can run tubing from wherever your reservoir and waste output is to your tank - I think the DOS can do 21 feet of vertical lift, for example.

Not that it is easy if that is different floors through a finished building, but carrying a bucket up and down the stairs is prone to spills etc.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running something like the DOS, you can run tubing from wherever your reservoir and waste output is to your tank - I think the DOS can do 21 feet of vertical lift, for example.

Not that it is easy if that is different floors through a finished building, but carrying a bucket up and down the stairs is prone to spills etc.
No that’s sounds like a lot of work good luck keep us posted

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add you can get 25litre water barrels with screw on lids zero spill rather than a bucket

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know AutoAqua is working on a new version of the Smart AWC, but no word on when it’ll release. That’s why the current version is sold out almost everywhere.

OP
OP
jafoca11

jafoca11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, now I’m curious. Would using two BRS Top Off Dosers work for a bare bones auto water change system?
I was wondering about this too because they are very cheap. They do say they are not rated for continues running, but I am not sure that is necessary either...

ShaneWedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post
Pics and links to the products?

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks AWC with the spectrapure litermeter .....it might pump from your down stairs delivery height.
Draw Height: from maximum 25 feet (7.7 meters) below
• Delivery Height: to maximum 60 feet (18.5meters) above

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back