AWC (Auto Water Change) for AIO / Nano Tanks

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, OP was referring to AWC, not ATO.
I understand that is the objective, but if you read back a couple of posts, you will see he and others are questioning if it would be possible to repurpose a couple of cheap ATO's into a AWC sytstem. And, they specifically asked me for a link to the devices I had referenced in my first post.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will begin by saying I understand you are looking for an AWC solution, not ATO.

That said, since there has be some discussion about exploring alternatives to an expensive AWC solution, you could think about this:

Use an inexpensive ATO system such as ReefBreeders Prism as the source for your new water.

Use a float switch reversed to be normally closed ($3), a 12v 1/4" quick connect water valve ($10) , and 1/4" tubing ($2) to make a drip overflow from the display tank to wherever you plan to send the removed water. Tie a lose knot into the tubing to slow the flow to a trickle. Set the height of the float switch so it will turn off when it floats to the higher level you want in the tank. Use a left over phone battery charger or the likes to power the switch and valve. All of these parts on Amazon. I would try it first to work as a siphon, if that doesn't work you can get a low volume submersible pump for about $10.

Set the height of the ATO to come on whenever the water in the tank drops to wherever you want the refill to start.

Something like this may be too small for a large tank, but should work fine for smaller tanks.

osvaldogarza21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been looking in to a AWC system solution too. I see someone mentions 1 gallon a day for the AWC system on the nano tank. what is the recommend water volume you can change a day? I'm interested in this too except I own a 15 gallon nano tank. Currently I own an echo tech Versa if I am able to get my hands on another maybe I could set something up for my nano.

Crazyju

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system i set up would not be considered auto, but it only takes me pushing a few buttons on my phone to do water changes on my 40 gallon aio. I have my saltwater tank in another room 60 ft from my tank. I put a small pump in the aquarium and have the line plumbed into my drain. I use 2 meross smart plugs. Turn one on and it pumps water from the aquarium. Then I turn the other one on to refill the aquarium. Not auto, but not much effort either.

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed autoaqua asking about their smart AWC. I got confirmation that they are in fact working on a new version and would be released sometimes later this year. The current version even though out of stock in the u.s, they are still being sold in taiwan.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t want the Dos I would just buy two Kamoer x1 pumps! Super cheap but quality option! Don’t discount the dos though because the apex has so much more it can do!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back