AWC for 300g with remote water station

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been researching an AWC for my system but haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for.

I have a 400g total system and I'm looking for an AWC setup to change 1% per day. But also something that could change 10-20% relatively quickly and easily.

My 100g saltwater storage is about 50ft away in the garage. The container is "slightly" higher than the sump so no head pressure with the pump in garage.

I'd like the pump in the garage for the noise factor.

Does anyone have an AWC system setup remotely like my setup would need?

Any suggestions on the best and most reliable (matching water in and out) setup for this configuration?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most consistent method is to simply have your tank shut off the return and then drain for a set amount of time. And then have the awc fill back up and after a set amount of time and once the awc should almost be done have the return pump turn back on and then use the top off sensor to control when the change stops.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the pump you want something that can handle a lot of head pressure. Horizontal run doesn't have as much of an effect as vertical but it does have an effect.
And I should say that the water level will go up and then down and then back up in your sump and it is possible of the timings aren't right that the pump could suck air, but honestly this isn't usually much of an issue and you can run the return at a low flow during this time to manage. It might be hard to program all this into Apex but I believe it can be done.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most consistent method is to simply have your tank shut off the return and then drain for a set amount of time. And then have the awc fill back up and after a set amount of time and once the awc should almost be done have the return pump turn back on and then use the top off sensor to control when the change stops.

As to the pump you want something that can handle a lot of head pressure. Horizontal run doesn't have as much of an effect as vertical but it does have an effect.
I haven't seen anyone set it up that way. That's pretty much perfect. Then just use two medium duty peristaltic pumps.

I use a litermeter III for my ato and it pulls the water from my ATO in garage no problem.

I actually have a Genesis I bought years ago but the way it works by filling and dumping just doesn't quite work in my setup.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen anyone set it up that way. That's pretty much perfect. Then just use two medium duty peristaltic pumps.

I use a litermeter III for my ato and it pulls the water from my ATO in garage no problem.

I actually have a Genesis I bought years ago but the way it works by filling and dumping just doesn't quite work in my setup.
It's amazing what we can do with the help of Apex these days.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Apex DOS does this. It’s what I use one of mine for as well. I have the waste line plumbed to a nearby bathroom drain via saddle, and the fresh salt water sitting in a mixing reservoir with sensors that alert when low. Apex programming shuts off water changes when mix reservoir is low.

You might want to verify specifications for the volume of water you want to move for a for given time period because DOS will pause as necessary to allow pumps to cool.

I run my water changes 2 liters daily between 8 PM to 8 AM.

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt this a european thing? The awc systems? Lol. Since when have we been doing these?
D

Ever since it’s been possible.

That said, how does “where” a reefing practices happens, have any relevance on if they should be done or not?

...maybe your user name explains why you’d be concerned about that. (?)

I guess I just find your questions a bit funny..esp considering something we have called the internet. LoL.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOS for continuous water changes. I have a a slightly larger system than you and change 5 gal/day. My drain is 100 ft from the sump.

also have a larger pump with hard plumbing for when I want to do large water changes at once. I recommend you do this because you’ll want to do a large water change at some point and not have to rely on a peristaltic pump for that.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to the party too, but because you already have a litermeter3, you could just add on two additional litermeter remote pumps for this purpose too!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferBud has it right. APEX DOS is a fine off the shelf AWC solution. They just make it too easy to ignore as a solution. Keep a spare set of pump heads and you are good for a few years. Yes, there is better competitive hardware out there, but the easy plug/play and the information logging overcomes that IMO.

While you are running lines through the walls include a 1" PVC or hose for the quick WCs.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferBud has it right. APEX DOS is a fine off the shelf AWC solution. They just make it too easy to ignore as a solution. Keep a spare set of pump heads and you are good for a few years. Yes, there is better competitive hardware out there, but the easy plug/play and the information logging overcomes that IMO.

While you are running lines through the walls include a 1" PVC or hose for the quick WCs.
I setup the system 7 years ago and plumbed 1” lines for this purpose. :) I have an iwaki that pumps the fresh SW in and a valve on return or a siphon from DT straight to drain line in stand plumbed directly to sewer line. Changing 100+ gallons in minutes is amazing. I’ve always wanted to do AWC of 1% a day though.
With so many DOS recommendations I might have to pull the trigger on it!

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to the party too, but because you already have a litermeter3, you could just add on two additional litermeter remote pumps for this purpose too!
The litermeter3 is so amazing. I haven’t touched it in 7 yrs. runs flawlessly!

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The litermeter3 is so amazing. I haven’t touched it in 7 yrs. runs flawlessly!
I plan on transitioning from my DOS over to litermeter in the future for AWC if I go to a bigger system. That being said, both are great options.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup the system 7 years ago and plumbed 1” lines for this purpose. :) I have an iwaki that pumps the fresh SW in and a valve on return or a siphon from DT straight to drain line in stand plumbed directly to sewer line. Changing 100+ gallons in minutes is amazing. I’ve always wanted to do AWC of 1% a day though.
With so many DOS recommendations I might have to pull the trigger on it!
I have the same setup except I have a single line with diverting valves on each end. And a cheap pond pump with remote power switch to push water from the basement.

AWC "wastes" a lot of fresh salt water over time, but I do see the advantage also.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been researching an AWC for my system but haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for.

I have a 400g total system and I'm looking for an AWC setup to change 1% per day. But also something that could change 10-20% relatively quickly and easily.

My 100g saltwater storage is about 50ft away in the garage. The container is "slightly" higher than the sump so no head pressure with the pump in garage.

I'd like the pump in the garage for the noise factor.

Does anyone have an AWC system setup remotely like my setup would need?

Any suggestions on the best and most reliable (matching water in and out) setup for this configuration?
I have my water change station in the basement. Automaticity keeps RODI full, automaticity tops off tank with the RODi, and I hit a switch and change 10% of the saltwater weekly. Pumps take old saltwater out and push saltwater up one floor to my living room.

76C56C40-B088-4549-87DC-6605C79501ED.jpeg

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my water change station in the basement. Automaticity keeps RODI full, automaticity tops off tank with the RODi, and I hit a switch and change 10% of the saltwater weekly. Pumps take old saltwater out and push saltwater up one floor to my living room.

76C56C40-B088-4549-87DC-6605C79501ED.jpeg
Can you describe you setup? What pumps, sensors and controllers are you using? Looks great!

Back