AWC I/O imbalance - Fix thanks to SuncrestReef!

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef - Thanks for your idea of cleaning the fresh saltwater intake lines with citric acid! Our AWC (using Neptune DOS pumps) was removing about 400 ml per interval but the fresh saltwater input was only about 200 ml. This explained why we could not maintain our sump water level. I assumed the issue was the DOS pump head so replaced both. That did not fix the problem.

What I should have done in the first place was search R2R! I saw SuncrestReef's post about running citric acid through the intake lines. The lines on our system are translucent and looked clean so I didn't have much hope this would work. Lo and behold it did! Thank you so much for sharing your fix! I used a 15% solution of citric acid and ran it through the fresh saline lines for about 15 minutes. Then followed with RODI water to flush out the citric acid.

In a BRS video Ryan suggests a sediment filter for the fresh saltwater in an AWC set up.
at about 18:00 minutes.

Has anyone installed one? I'd like to see how others installed Ryan's suggestion. I am not very knowledgeable about plumbing and pumping water so am not sure I could install this idea without instructions.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about a formal sediment filter, but I’ve got fine mesh filter bags over the intakes of all my fresh saltwater DOS tubes to try and prevent anything blocking the tubes, sediment etc.

OP
OP
NanJ

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about a formal sediment filter, but I’ve got fine mesh filter bags over the intakes of all my fresh saltwater DOS tubes to try and prevent anything blocking the tubes, sediment etc.
I used your idea and added a 300 micron bag to the water intake line in the saltwater reservoir. Sometimes a simple approach is the best!

Back