AWC with reef-pi and Robotank

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally getting around to implementing AutoWaterChange (AWC).

Ive just run the drain line to the sink using RO tubing and am using a jebao dp4s dosing pump via Michael Lanes adapter board.

39DFB86E-6EFF-4BC7-B9FC-59B688FE96E6.jpeg

I’m using an optical sensor for HighWaterMark (doubles as my ATO sensor too) and a non-contact for LowWaterMark in the pump/return chamber.

note: the “Optical sensors” extension box is setup for optical only, so I had to change the pins on the non-contact sensor and resolder the jumpers. So consider this an advanced thing & ask Rob if in doubt.
494422A0-4BEB-460A-89AB-CCA9D5B01696.jpeg

C9EFCA9B-0B95-494A-87D9-36111EA3FBCF.jpeg

I’ve already got a float valve, drilled at a high level that I use for my ATO fill (RO gravity fed via an RO solenoid mounted to the side), so was planning to tee my AWC_fill line there also, to ensure there was redundancy against over filling).

My ATO RO fill solenoid is hooked up to DC3, which has a hardware failsafe with the float switch attached via the optical breakout also. I really like this feature. I may get a 2nd RO valve so I can use that feature for my AWC fill line also.
————

So now I’m trying to figure out the logic in reef-pi.

What I want to achieve is something like:

At scheduled time, turn off ATO, turn on DrainDoserPump till it LowWaterMark sensor is activated (or X minutes pass, as a safety), then turn on FillDoserPump till HighWaterMark is reached.

I think I can achieve this using two ATOs, tied to the High and Low water marks and logic in a macro; but I can’t see a way to connect the ATO system to the pumps setup as dosing pumps.

Running reef-pi 3.4 currently, so maybe I need to upgrade?

maybe this is something @robsworld78 or @Ranjib has seen before?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cnidus

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured it out... I converted my “jacks” for the doser pumps into regular “outlets”. That allows me to add them as equipment under each ATO.

time to test it out. Wish me luck! Will post config and pics later.

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured it out... I converted my “jacks” for the doser pumps into regular “outlets”. That allows me to add them as equipment under each ATO.

time to test it out. Wish me luck! Will post config and pics later.

Hi, i don't know if this is helpful for you or now, but I am planning on using a mini diaphragm pump for my ATO, during my testing with the pump running at 100 percent it was too loud for my liking so i set it up as a jack and a dosing pump,

But I ran into the same issue being unable to trigger the "dosing pump" using ATO. So I created a Macro

It will turn on the diaphragm pump for 3 seconds at a time then turn it off over and over again until the ato is no longer triggering the macro, but if your planning on running at 100 percent anyway this doesn't matter
1617589855796.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cnidus nice job figuring that out
Hi, i don't know if this is helpful for you or now, but I am planning on using a mini diaphragm pump for my ATO, during my testing with the pump running at 100 percent it was too loud for my liking so i set it up as a jack and a dosing pump,

But I ran into the same issue being unable to trigger the "dosing pump" using ATO. So I created a Macro

It will turn on the diaphragm pump for 3 seconds at a time then turn it off over and over again until the ato is no longer triggering the macro, but if your planning on running at 100 percent anyway this doesn't matter
1617589855796.png
Ah very nice, this must have been fixed because a few months ago I tried the same and the system would always hang, only the pump would get enabled/disabled.

@cnidus you might need to update to 4.1 to do this.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh forgot to mention something, I noticed you have a float switch plugged in the sensor extension but I also see some wires coming from the backup float port on controller. Is that a 2nd float switch I don't see or a jumper? If it's a jumper the other float switch will never turn off the pump, just thought I would mention in case you missed that.

OP
OP
cnidus

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it works, but it only does about 4.4L/hr with this jebao pump. So a 3gal water change is gunna take about 5hrs.

Wondering how long the pumps will last if I’m doing that 2-3 times a week.

Blue is salt-water-fill. Black is drain and white is RO (ATO).
BDC23932-550A-4979-B2FD-A777C70C6D65.jpeg

45E673F3-38D8-4CBB-A49E-AC35757ED611.jpeg

OP
OP
cnidus

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a jumper to disable the float, but now just have it open. DC3 goes to my RO solenoid. The idea is if the backup float is triggered, the solenoid won’t activate, even if reefpi calls for it (failed optical sensor, fat fingers b

and even if all that fails on, there’s a float valve a little higher (completely out of water most of the time)
A6176DA6-C7A9-4F37-A9A5-2AE459AF7D13.jpeg
oat, prior to getting that setup.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a jumper to disable the float, but now just have it open. DC3 goes to my RO solenoid. The idea is if the backup float is triggered, the solenoid won’t activate, even if reefpi calls for it (failed optical sensor, fat fingers b

and even if all that fails on, there’s a float valve a little higher (completely out of water most of the time)
A6176DA6-C7A9-4F37-A9A5-2AE459AF7D13.jpeg
oat, prior to getting that setup.
Make sense, I couldn't tell if it was one or two wires. I've since removed the float port from sensor extension as it just mirrors the plug I thought maybe had a jumper.

OP
OP
cnidus

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here's what I ended up configuring, for anyone following this in the future. I tested it manually yesterday

Basically the flow is: Timer > AWC Macro > ATO (Drain, pause, Fill).

I'm shooting for roughly 3gal per change, these pumps only do 4400ml/hr, so it takes a few hours.

Timer:
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.36.03 AM.png

AWC Macro:
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.27.44 AM.png

ATO setup:
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.24.57 AM.png

Sensors:
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.28.40 AM.png

Pumps:
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.29.01 AM.png

Equipment:
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.31.11 AM.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back