Awful Pictures, Looking for At least some predictions

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah well to be fair I tried to remove it before taking pictures for an ID, figure if I CAN remove things and then ask questions that's the goal. At this point yeah I am planning to leave it be. There was a slight paranoid concern that I was fostering a bobbit worm which is obviously a little out there, but you know, paranoia about pests. Still genuinely surprised anything managed to hitch hike on a nem. That's the only thing it could have come in on though.
if it makes you feel better, I had a terebellid hide for a full year as a hitchhiker

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it makes you feel better, I had a terebellid hide for a full year as a hitchhiker
So. I saw the tendrils again today and they definitely looked too long, and one of them was out where I could get it. So I got it. Didn't get the whole whatever it is, but the microscope was illuminating, and also illuminating. Does this not look like some kind of plant to you? I can see a sprig growing out the side of it, so I am kind of going with algae of some sort at this point?

Attachments

• 20210306_171532.jpg
    20210306_171532.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210306_171558.jpg
    20210306_171558.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210306_172150.jpg
    20210306_172150.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210306_172155.jpg
    20210306_172155.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 26

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I saw the tendrils again today and they definitely looked too long, and one of them was out where I could get it. So I got it. Didn't get the whole whatever it is, but the microscope was illuminating, and also illuminating. Does this not look like some kind of plant to you? I can see a sprig growing out the side of it, so I am kind of going with algae of some sort at this point?
ouch, I can see the tissue sticking out of the skin there, that is definitely from the terebellid

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that seems like it's definitely from a terebellid? I see a little sprig growing out the side, which is why I thought more that it might be algae.
it is damage from handling, the tentacles have a groove in them supported by 2 halves

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay then. Almost definitely terebellid, they're reef safe and don't harm corals or fish, and can be a helpful scavenger. Case closed?
most likely, It's definitely reef safe, and I'd almost bet money the body of the animal is greenish, so don't be concerned if you ever see a big green worm with an afro

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely, It's definitely reef safe, and I'd almost bet money the body of the animal is greenish, so don't be concerned if you ever see a big green worm with an afro
I assume for the most part I wouldn't see it. If it came out, I am suspicious the royal gramma might have something to say about it. He has been poking around the area every once in a while, but doesn't really want to go after the coral. I think he might have bumped the BTA once and has learned something about the bright things in the tank.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume for the most part I wouldn't see it. If it came out, I am suspicious the royal gramma might have something to say about it. He has been poking around the area every once in a while, but doesn't really want to go after the coral. I think he might have bumped the BTA once and has learned something about the bright things in the tank.
might be trying to pull off those tasty tentacles from the poor worm. im pretty sure they regenerate quite fast but still

Back