Awoke to BJD on my 10yo hammer…pray for me

RBuchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awoke this morning to a sight that I was not expecting. Over five heads had ejected polyps over night with two more head visibly showing the ever dreaded brown jelly. The colony is over 10yo and I’ve never had the courage to frag it.

Today, I jumped in, hoping I wouldn’t loose the entire thing. Tossed all of the dead heads and the ones were the flesh was far too gone. Did a dip with Seachem Reef Dip and then a quick RO “bath”.

Pray for me and my “OG” who has survived a 50 mile move from my first apartment to my first house as well the transition from a 32 to 90 gallon tank. One of my first corals.

C6FD7E21-510F-41AB-AAEA-000FAEF45B34.jpeg 75D8BBDA-A954-4899-8C8F-50E420E8139A.jpeg 16E0F9B1-60DD-42D4-84CC-40241689F440.jpeg 426BCAC2-BAF0-4F27-8442-9C0E9FA361E9.jpeg

OP
OP
RBuchetto

RBuchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragging seems to have been a success. Removed a frag that developed some bjd overnight. The other heads seem to be doing well. I don’t happen to have any Ciprofloxacin on hand to try and dose the tank. Fingers crossed we will make it!

Attachments

• 69D8EA75-18ED-4BE9-9113-FDB0355DDE36.jpeg
    69D8EA75-18ED-4BE9-9113-FDB0355DDE36.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 91

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragging seems to have been a success. Removed a frag that developed some bjd overnight. The other heads seem to be doing well. I don’t happen to have any Ciprofloxacin on hand to try and dose the tank. Fingers crossed we will make it!
They look pretty good now! Goodluck.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

looking pretty good!
lost my hammer garden to bdj. hopefully yours makes it and lives for many years to come.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just the photo, but your water looks yellow. If we think bacteria contributes to bjd, run some carbon or ozone to break up yellowing organics and let the skimmer do its work.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD starts when corals are stressed due to something wrong in their parameters. Light. Flow or nutrients. I had it spreading fast in my tank and chemiclean treatment followed by big bag of carbon stopped the spread.

OP
OP
RBuchetto

RBuchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD starts when corals are stressed due to something wrong in their parameters. Light. Flow or nutrients. I had it spreading fast in my tank and chemiclean treatment followed by big bag of carbon stopped the spread.

Thanks for the input! I’ll have to keep an eye on the tank. Water isn’t yellowed - likely the camera. Pulled the carbon bag the other day. I also run a bag of purigen in the sump. Doing a water change today as well.

OP
OP
RBuchetto

RBuchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just the photo, but your water looks yellow. If we think bacteria contributes to bjd, run some carbon or ozone to break up yellowing organics and let the skimmer do its work.
Just the photo! Thanks for pointing that out as a potential issue!

OP
OP
RBuchetto

RBuchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good each day!

Attachments

• D89AFC14-988D-41A3-B60D-146E542641EA.jpeg
    D89AFC14-988D-41A3-B60D-146E542641EA.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 56CED3DA-F672-4116-AA6A-2C78F3388919.jpeg
    56CED3DA-F672-4116-AA6A-2C78F3388919.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 64

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. I lost a couple of my 10 years plus colonies to BJD. Any idea how it started?

OP
OP
RBuchetto

RBuchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. I lost a couple of my 10 years plus colonies to BJD. Any idea how it started?
The frags are doing very well now after the “hair cut” and iodine dip. I’ll posit up some pics when they are all open in the morning.

Seems it occurred from the colony getting irratated. My christmas wrasse overturned the colony slightly when digging his den. I had it mounted to some base rock on the sand bed. The colony was so big when fully open, that I did not notice that heads got pushed into the sand bed - shame on me. That caused a chain of events where heads started to melt off and the brown film was covering the exposed skeleton and adjacent heads.

I am convinced that the bacteria is in the water column, but that the tank is in a state of equilibrium. The other LPS are fine (chalices, candy cane / trumpets, and a torch). I count myself lucky that I had the guts to attempt my first LPS fragging…but it was either try it or loose it all. Now, I am more curious about testing the water to see if the BJD bacteria does exist or if this was a misidentification on my part. But all signs seemed to have pointed to BJD.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frags are doing very well now after the “hair cut” and iodine dip. I’ll posit up some pics when they are all open in the morning.

Seems it occurred from the colony getting irratated. My christmas wrasse overturned the colony slightly when digging his den. I had it mounted to some base rock on the sand bed. The colony was so big when fully open, that I did not notice that heads got pushed into the sand bed - shame on me. That caused a chain of events where heads started to melt off and the brown film was covering the exposed skeleton and adjacent heads.

I am convinced that the bacteria is in the water column, but that the tank is in a state of equilibrium. The other LPS are fine (chalices, candy cane / trumpets, and a torch). I count myself lucky that I had the guts to attempt my first LPS fragging…but it was either try it or loose it all. Now, I am more curious about testing the water to see if the BJD bacteria does exist or if this was a misidentification on my part. But all signs seemed to have pointed to BJD.
Glad they are doing well. You could always try sending in a sample of water to AquaBiomics and have them analyze your tank microbiology for diversity and potential pathogen microbes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back