Axalotl injured

BrokenMarrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know axalotls aren't salt water creatures, but I couldnt find answers online and didnt know where else to go. Hopefully someone can help me. I dont know what happened but Hydra, my axalotl, has a good sized bump on his arm. I dont know if it's an infection, I dont know if they can have tumors, but it doesnt look good at all and she doesnt use it like normal. She kind of drags her arm.. Any information and ways to help would be extremely appreciated.

20200702_074133.jpg 20200702_074127.jpg 20200702_074117.jpg

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Fellow Axolotl keeper! I'm not sure if that's an infection or what it is. You could try (this is gonna sound crazy) putting it in a container and putting it in the fridge for awhile, see if that helps. Another thing that is crazy and sounds inhumane, if you could remove the affected limb it will grow back.

Ugh, I feel so wrong saying all that but all the research I've done points to some of these methods. They don't usually contract diseases so when they do it's hard to diagnose.

Btw this is Alice!

1593701409669331039094004200577.jpg

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that axolotls can regrow limbs, might be best to cool him down into a hibernation state (I guess fridge works but I’d be terrified, I’d just turn off the tank heater) then cut through the limb at the body attachment point cleanly and quickly using scissors or a sharp knife and limiting air time. Since they have those super pretty gills, they probably won’t enjoy being out of the water so you’d have to do it super fast. Good diet, clean water for a couple months and the limb should grow back good as new

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following because Axolotls are awesome creatures. Sadly I don't have anything useful to say. Perhaps keep trying to find someone more versed online? Or consult a vet, depending on your state of lock down, they may know something about it, or know someone who does.

The same applies to emergency amputation, would suggest seeing if a vet can come over and do it, depending on circumstances. Proper equipment, sterilizing agents, etc.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that axolotls can regrow limbs, might be best to cool him down into a hibernation state (I guess fridge works but I’d be terrified, I’d just turn off the tank heater) then cut through the limb at the body attachment point cleanly and quickly using scissors or a sharp knife and limiting air time. Since they have those super pretty gills, they probably won’t enjoy being out of the water so you’d have to do it super fast. Good diet, clean water for a couple months and the limb should grow back good as new
I hope there's not a heater, they're cold water animals and heat stresses them out. Fridge works best for cooling them and reducing their metabolism to an almost hibernation state. DO NOT remove the Axolotl from the water, it does more damage than good. They are also quite sensitive to oils on your hands and it will degrade their slime coat, so I would suggest wearing gloves of some sort. Using scissors or some other sharp instrument would be beneficial for removal of the limb.

Fun facts for those who don't know much about Axolotls:
1) They are only found in the wild in ONE lake in Mexico, the rest of their natural habitats have been destroyed.
2) Akin to Tigers, there are more in captivity than in the wild, which makes them critically endangered.
3) They're a tough aquatic animal and don't usually get disease.
4) They're easier to take care of than fish in my opinion.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Here’s a link. Contact the San Diego zoo. They may have a vet on staff that could help you locate a vet near you with experience with amphibians. Or they could consult with your vet if needed.

Definitely agree let vet do it. This article talks about risk of infection if they lose a limb. Need vet with tools, proper antibiotics etc.

OP
OP
BrokenMarrow

BrokenMarrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the limb cutting will be last resort. The idea freaks me out. But I'm gonna try doing a 100% tank cleaning and a salt bath. I was able to save 2 of my 3 axies that way when we had some water problems. (Apartment neighbor dumped fryer oil in there sink a lot and later found out that it backed up into our pipes) so if that doesnt work, I'll end up having to just do the amputation. I'll feel so bad, but I dont want her to suffer with whatever is going on too.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not kept Axolotls, but I have several types of Newts in my ponds which are very similar amphibians (apart from the size) and often I keep them in tanks from nymphs until adults so I have come across some infections.

Don't try amputation!!! This will just expose the internal systems to infection and it will probably die.

This is what i'd suggest, hope it helps:

1. Do a 50% water change.
2. Lower the light levels to reduce stress
3. Lower the temp to 10-15 degrees C.
4. Give it White worm and Tubefix, as this is high fat and protein which is necessary for healing.
5. If all this does not help, try adding salinity as per Holtfreter's solution (research before doing so). This will reduce bacteria in the water and speed healing.

If you do all the above chances are it will recover, but at the end of the day these things happen regardless of how much you try, and nothing lives forever.

Good luck

Scott

Nilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above regarding putting it in a container and in the fridge but nothing less than 55F. They are cold water animals and will do well with a chiller. I’ve done that before but only when mine was smaller like 2-3”. They’ve been doing well since. Also that lesion looks like an injury to me. Is it with any other axolotls? They sometimes bite each other accidentally. In any case, if it is eating well and active and acting normally, I may just keep a close eye on it. As you probably already know, they are known for their regenerative properties ala “Wolverine” so it may just heal on its own as long as there is no infection present.

A couple pics of mine:
975E3A82-303A-4960-94CA-9651BE02B464.jpeg
02B13BD1-1716-419B-9703-D00B2AC82330.jpeg

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just say this is an exceptionally interesting forum and I enjoy reading the varied posts. Most sites I have come across are far too specific to either freshwater or marine, but IMO the mistake those sites are making is that they don't realise that aquarists are by their nature very curious and experimental people who generally love all animals/plants, so are likely to have not only marine but freshwater / amphibian / insect / reptile etc...

I for one have a large garden I am interested in growing food in, I have an ant farm, a preying mantis, a pond with newts and frogs, 2 freshwater aquarium (one cold water 1 tropical), 1 (new) marine aquarium, 2 dogs and my wife wants rabbits/guinea pigs for my 3 young boys.

I would strongly suggest to the moderators to create a section titled "any non-marine life."

Scott

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caudata.org is a great resource

Looks to me like he has a little infection. Salt soaks work great. Has it spread at all or is it at the same size? Have you handled him lately? Could be a burn from something you had on your skin?

OP
OP
BrokenMarrow

BrokenMarrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent handled them. I try not to touch them. It looks about the same size.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try caudata.org

they are super helpful. I have had axolotl’s chomp at each others tails and seen it grow back. I have seen them have cuts from rocks but never seen them blister.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back