AyeNick's University EVO 13.5 Build Thread - College Show Tank Progress!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like die-off to me. I put some live rubble from my LFS in chamber 1 and 2 during my cycle and think it helped--speculation only, of course. The catching on the groove was annoying though since the rubble shifts when you right it up to slide the media basket back in.

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like die-off to me. I put some live rubble from my LFS in chamber 1 and 2 during my cycle and think it helped--speculation only, of course. The catching on the groove was annoying though since the rubble shifts when you right it up to slide the media basket back in.
I plan on running a filter pad in the top of course, replaced 1-2 times per week. I don't really need to take out the media basket for that. I also plan on running a bag of carbon in the second chamber, which will have to be replaced monthly. So I'll only really have to deal with the groove once a month.

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A8685429-C60D-4906-B2ED-1143B702ECB8.jpeg

I can't think of much else that I need. The rest of what I need to get the cycle started is arriving today, that being salt, carbon, fish food, and even an algae scraper, just in case. I have the sand here, which is going to be put in the DT today, no rock. I don't have enough rock for the aquascape to be perfect, yet. I do have an order of real reef rock "rubble" coming on Wednesday to complete the aquascape.

As of right now my cycle plan is classic: keep growing bacteria until the population can reliably reduce ammonia to zero. Huge water change, then add fish. It'll probably be a clownfish pair, tailspot blenny, 3-4 snails, 3-4 crabs. I'll run the tank with the lights off for a month, and then on acclimation mode up to a month, and then have my normal light schedule going. I'll then add a few inexpensive but vibrant tester LPS corals. Probably an acan, micro goni, and maybe a blasto. Something along those lines. If those do well over course of another month then I'll consider the tank ready for coral.

Having a Nero 3 is great. The form factor is small, the app was incredibly easy to use, and the flow pattern is nice and wide. I have it placed towards the top middle of the wall, but I'm worried it'll be too turbulent on corals that are on the very top of the rock. I might end up moving the Nero to under the return pump nozzles. I'd like some feedback and ideas. I want to create moderate flow throughout the tank. I worry that If I put the Nero to the side, it'll just create a merry-go-round flow pattern, creating very low flow in the middle. Of course the Nero 3 can be pointed more toward the middle and have more random flow settings that can be put on a schedule. Not sure what to do.

Can't wait to get things started.

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImage5Lwa8e.jpg

The tank is officially wet! Sand and some rubble is in the DT. I kept some rubble in the DT since it had coralline on it, and I wanted to expedite the process of growing coralline in my DT. The rest is in the bottom of the intank media basket.
I did find trouble putting the media basket back into chamber 1 with the rubble in there, but after rearranging it I was able to without a problem.
Ammonia is measurable but not high. I'm hoping that there is some bacteria left over on the live rubble. The live rubble sits low in the basket, towards the bottom. I feel that there is not enough flow in that area of the media basket and that whatever bacteria is on the rubble is not getting enough, and there is not enough nitrification happening there. I may modify the media basket so that the bottom sits higher up.
Either way, I'm happy that the tank is running.
When I'm back from my 2-week trip home I'll make sure the water reads no ammonia and nitrite and go pick up livestock in Fresno, about an hour drive south.

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, check out my evo build thread, i truly love this tank and its footprint and AIO

Here's some suggestions i can give you!

I took a razor and took off that black stuff on the top, gives it a cleaner look.

Upgrade the light if you have it in the budget with a used AI prime, you will love that upgrade

Buy an intank media basket for either chamber one or two

OP
OP
ISFNick

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, check out my evo build thread, i truly love this tank and its footprint and AIO

Here's some suggestions i can give you!

I took a razor and took off that black stuff on the top, gives it a cleaner look.

Upgrade the light if you have it in the budget with a used AI prime, you will love that upgrade

Buy an intank media basket for either chamber one or two
Thanks for reading through. I plan on removing the black trim, I already bought an AI Prime 16HD, and already have an intank media basket.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back