AZ FRAG June *Virtual* Meeting w/ Rich Ross! 6/20 @ 3PM

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join us for our June virtual meeting, featuring Rich Ross!

Rich will be giving us a tour of his home lab, along with a related presentation and a discussion session.

Bio: Richard Ross is known for the “Skeptical Reefkeeping” article series, The Skimmate podcast, his groundbreaking work with cephalopod husbandry, his entertaining and informative talks, for managing the ambitious 212,000 gallon reef tank in the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences, and most recently for spawning Acropora sp in closed systems as part of the Albright Coral Spawning Lab at CAS. Richard has kept saltwater animals for over 35 years, has worked in the aquarium industry and trade (maintenance, retail, wholesale) and has consulted for a coral farm/fish collecting station in the South Pacific. In 2015, Richard was presented with the MASNA Aquarist of the Year Award (now the MASNA award), and his work has been covered by Scientific American, National Geographic, Animal Planet, Penn’s Sunday School, NPR’s Science Friday, Discovery News, Fox News and more.​
Before working in the animal world he was a professional Juggler and corporate presentation script writer/script doctor. He is an avid underwater photographer/videographer and has been fortunate to scuba dive many wild reefs. At home he cares for a 400 gallon reef system and a secret home lab, two hairless dogs, a captive bred beaded lizard, and the occasional injured corvid. When not doing all that stuff, he enjoys kiteboarding, glass blowing, juggling, ice skating, horseback riding, mixed martial arts, exercising his philosophy degree, spending time with his fabulous daughter and his incredibly generous, intelligent, gorgeous and patient wife.​

I would like to encourage all interested participants to sign up here if you have not registered before for AZ FRAG: http://www.arizonafrag.com/membership
Upon receipt of your application, I will send you a PayPal invoice for your dues - don't fret if your payment is unsuccessful as the applications are still coming through.

This meeting will be hosted using "GoToMeeting", which also has an app available in the IOS and Play store, if you wish to join using a mobile device. It's a quick install and easy to use. You can also join from a PC/laptop if you prefer.

Meeting info:
AZ FRAG June Meeting with Rich Ross​
Sat, Jun 20, 2020 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM (PDT)​
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (872) 240-3311​
Access Code: 390-943-917​
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts:​

If you have any questions about the meeting, format, or GoToMeeting, please ask away!
We look forward to another great meeting!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured if we couldn't have a Sealife meeting, then getting us a guest speaker was a good replacement. :)
Hopefully you agree!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join us for our June virtual meeting, featuring Rich Ross!

Rich will be giving us a tour of his home lab, along with a related presentation and a discussion session.

Bio: Richard Ross is known for the “Skeptical Reefkeeping” article series, The Skimmate podcast, his groundbreaking work with cephalopod husbandry, his entertaining and informative talks, for managing the ambitious 212,000 gallon reef tank in the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences, and most recently for spawning Acropora sp in closed systems as part of the Albright Coral Spawning Lab at CAS. Richard has kept saltwater animals for over 35 years, has worked in the aquarium industry and trade (maintenance, retail, wholesale) and has consulted for a coral farm/fish collecting station in the South Pacific. In 2015, Richard was presented with the MASNA Aquarist of the Year Award (now the MASNA award), and his work has been covered by Scientific American, National Geographic, Animal Planet, Penn’s Sunday School, NPR’s Science Friday, Discovery News, Fox News and more.​
Before working in the animal world he was a professional Juggler and corporate presentation script writer/script doctor. He is an avid underwater photographer/videographer and has been fortunate to scuba dive many wild reefs. At home he cares for a 400 gallon reef system and a secret home lab, two hairless dogs, a captive bred beaded lizard, and the occasional injured corvid. When not doing all that stuff, he enjoys kiteboarding, glass blowing, juggling, ice skating, horseback riding, mixed martial arts, exercising his philosophy degree, spending time with his fabulous daughter and his incredibly generous, intelligent, gorgeous and patient wife.​

I would like to encourage all interested participants to sign up here if you have not registered before for AZ FRAG: http://www.arizonafrag.com/membership
Upon receipt of your application, I will send you a PayPal invoice for your dues - don't fret if your payment is unsuccessful as the applications are still coming through.

This meeting will be hosted using "GoToMeeting", which also has an app available in the IOS and Play store, if you wish to join using a mobile device. It's a quick install and easy to use. You can also join from a PC/laptop if you prefer.

Meeting info:
AZ FRAG June Meeting with Rich Ross​
Sat, Jun 20, 2020 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM (PDT)​
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (872) 240-3311​
Access Code: 390-943-917​
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts:​

If you have any questions about the meeting, format, or GoToMeeting, please ask away!
We look forward to another great meeting!
This is awesome and thanks for the reminder to sign up!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he spoke at one of the MACNA banquets and he is very entertaining. Also, didn't he speak at one of our old meetings in Scottsdale? Looking forward to it! Thanks for setting this up. JP
Yeah, we had him out here in person Oct 2017. And yes, he is a MACNA regular speaker and has served as the MC at the banquet a few times.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing this on the FB groups!!
Sounds good, but please make sure people are aware that this is intended for 2020 members (meaning people need to be current on dues and signed up for the club).

Ayzel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, but please make sure people are aware that this is intended for 2020 members (meaning people need to be current on dues and signed up for the club).
Way ahead of you Mr @evolved !!...and @waterskiguy was asking if there was anyway to record the meeting, because he will be waterskiing...

B5CB8AA3-0C87-40F7-ABAF-940BEDEA8FF2.jpeg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way ahead of you Mr @evolved !!...and @waterskiguy was asking if there was anyway to record the meeting, because he will be waterskiing...

B5CB8AA3-0C87-40F7-ABAF-940BEDEA8FF2.jpeg
I do believe I can record it - but I need to look into my options that I have with the recorded file if I do. I'm not sure if it's locked in their cloud or if it ends up being a local copy - obviously the latter lets me do a lot more.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great meeting and opportunity to gather advice from a true reefing expert. Thanks to Hunter and the organization for setting this up. I’m surprised there wasn’t more questions asked. I was very intrigued by his system but feel Cheated we didn’t get to see any juggling, or more comedy. I appreciate Richard taking time on a weekend to present to us. JP

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great meeting and opportunity to gather advice from a true reefing expert. Thanks to Hunter and the organization for setting this up. I’m surprised there wasn’t more questions asked. I was very intrigued by his system but feel Cheated we didn’t get to see any juggling, or more comedy. I appreciate Richard taking time on a weekend to present to us. JP
You should have asked for that! There were juggles in the room! :D

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back