OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent made it through 3 pages of your thread yet, but i just wanted to thank you for taking the time to do all of this!
I have a 625 on the way and tons of questions even though ive been researching for the better part of 4 months. I think by the time i get through your thread, most of those questions will be answered!

Since im loading a cart up with the build now.... did you ever find that 4 mp40's were overkill? Do you think 2 is enough for the short-medium term?
Hi Darins, Glad my build is helping you. In my system I initially ran two MP40s because I really didn’t see a need to spend all the money up front for 4. During the cycle and initial fish intro two are fine.

Now I played with a bunch of configurations to help keep the bare bottom clear of as much junk as possible. What I have ended up with is I run the pumps in an alternating gyre mode. So for 3 minutes the left fwd and right rear pumps are synced and the left rear and right front are anti synced. So basically, water rotates the tank one direction then 3 minutes later it rotates the other. This churns up the junk and keeps it in the water column to go down the overflow.

Keep in mind all the above works since my rock work is built in the center of the tank and water can flow around it. Also, MP 40s aren’t really the absolute solution. 2 gyre pumps mounted sideways on an end would probably accomplish the same as my 4 MP40s.

Last edited:

SteveJacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Darins, Glad my build is helping you. In my system I initially ran two MP40s because I really didn’t see a need to spend all the money up front for 4. During the cycle and initial fish intro two are fine.

Now I played with a bunch of configurations to help keep the bare bottom clear of as much junk as possible. What I have ended up with is I run the pumps in an alternating gyre mode. So for 3 minutes the left fwd and right rear pumps are synced and the left rear and right front are anti synced. So basically, water rotates the tank one direction then 3 minutes later it rotates the other. This churns up the junk and keeps it in the water column to go down the overflow.

Keep in mind all the above works since my rock work is built in the center of the tank and water can flow around it. Also, MP 40s aren’t really the absolute solution. 2 gyre pumps mounted sideways on an end would probably accomplish the same as my 4 MP40s.
I've heard (seen on yourtube) that the Gyre's are MUCH louder than MP40's.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... expletive.... I have Ick in my display. It’s mild at the moment but it can get bad fast so I am taking action. Pretty sure it came in on a snail order I got. I don’t blame the place I got the snails from. I blame me. I should have QTed the snails like I normally do, but I failed my fish and display.

Over the weekend I have been getting a 55g tank up and running for the fish to go into. Wish me luck... today I will be moving the fish over. I had several items in my DT sump in case I ever needed to do this. So I was able to seed the 55 with rubble and a sponge filter.

The wrasse from a few posts above are fine in their own private QT and doing well.

Any suggestions on keeping nitrates and phosphates up in the DT during the next 80 days would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught all the fish except the red firefish. Can’t find that little jerk. Using the mirror to help draw aggression away from each other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I found the body of the red firefish. It had perished during the rearranging of the rock to get the other fish out. Sad it's gone, but glad the clock has now started on the tank. Sept 18th fish can go back in to the DT.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating fish with copper, also trying to keep ammonia under safe levels. I really have just to many fish in the 55g but don’t have much of a choice at the moment. I’ll be doing 20g water changes about every 2-3 days. ugh

Last edited:

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Glad you were able to jump in and get things started ASAP. So sorry about getting the trouble in the first place, though. Just awful. As a bit of a random question - how did you manage to catch the fish with so much rockwork and coral around? I've had to do it a couple times and it's always the biggest pain in the butt.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back