Azure Damsel Conundrum

NefariousPillow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the midst of starting up a 125 gallon reef tank. My stocking list and the order the fish will be going in are as follows:

1. x1 Royal Gramma + x1 Ocellaris Clownfish

2. x1 Goby (Haven't decided which one yet)

3. x1 Melanurus Wrasse

4. x1 Foxface

6. x1 Bartlett's Anthias

7. x2 Schooling Bannerfish (H. diphreutes)

8. x1 Copperbanded Butterfly

9. x1 Coral Beauty Angel + x1 Flame Angel

10. x1 Yellow Tang

Aside from all of the aforementioned, I really would like to add x3 Azure Damsels. At what point should I do this? I know Azures are typically thought to be trust worthy as far as damsels go, but I'd like to err on the side of caution regardless.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the Azure's last.

The only one's I would personally wonder about them with would be the Anthias and goby.
Also, you might thing about a good size school of Anthias instead of a single one.

All awesome fish!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about captive-bred lyretail damsels instead? They're dark blue with yellow tails. I have two in a 65g, and they've been ideal inhabitants.

You've no doubt received the usual cautions about angelfish in a reef tank, but I'm going to remind you again. Mine have never really gone after any of my corals, but they're still a swimming question mark.

And I'd get an actual fairy wrasse instead of the Anthias. The feeding requirements of those fish would be too taxing without a very careful plan.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1-10 on your fish list should all be fine, just note that dwarf angels can be a bit ***** with each other right off the start while they work out "living arrangements". Fortunately the coral beauty and flame are probably the more docile of the particular species. As @davidcalgary29 pointed out, while my coral beauty has been reef safe - the midnight dwarf I have is a constant swimming question mark (acans are a no go). So just remember reef safe with caution = very much your mileage may vary.

A fairy wrasse is also a good alternate to the anthias. I feed mine 6x daily (4 pellet, 2 frozen) so that's not an issue for me, but you probably want a minimum of 3 daily feedings.

In terms of the azure damsels, I have one azure and four blue devils in my tank. The azure went in first, the three blue devils after - and then another two dozen or so fish after the damsels. So honestly, it doesn't really matter too much what order you add them - though I would probably add them sooner as opposed to later as they each need to carve out their own sleeping/retreat space, and if everything is occupied and/or spoken for before you add them, well...

In terms of getting along, they get along with everything in the tank. They will occasionally swim up to a newcomer and flash their tale in its face - more just to establish "hey, you're in my seat" than anything else.

OP
OP
N

NefariousPillow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to lean more towards the fairy wrasse after the suggestions and doing some research.

As for the azures, still not sure which way to go. I was initially going to add them first and then after reading conflicting literature I thought I'd post about it. Still seems pretty split; I suppose it's a gamble no matter how you slice it. :upside-down-face:

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My group of 3 Azure's don't bother anybody and only quarrel within their own group.....that is including adding fish after they were added. They are pretty laid back with other fish.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back