Azure Damsel mouth not closing and periodically gaping

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two new azure damsels in QT. One is feeding well but the other (larger) appears to not be closing its mouth entirely, not eating, and every so often stretches or gaps its mouth as if it has something stuck in its throat its trying to dislodge. It's also become more skittish the last couple days (initially was very bold) hiding behind rockwork.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely, fish get something caught in their mouths and there is a mechanical reason for this symptom.

Is the fish also breathing rapidly? Count the number of breaths in 15 seconds and multiply by 4. You can let me know that number and I can compare it to my database of breathing rates. Alternately, you can compare it to the breathing rate of the other damsel.

Jay

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely, fish get something caught in their mouths and there is a mechanical reason for this symptom.

Is the fish also breathing rapidly? Count the number of breaths in 15 seconds and multiply by 4. You can let me know that number and I can compare it to my database of breathing rates. Alternately, you can compare it to the breathing rate of the other damsel.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I'll do the count when I get home tonight and report back. You're right, it reminds me of when my chickens get grass stuck in their crop and they gap to loosen it.

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my best to try and do a breathing rate count but the damsel is so skittish it just darts behind cover every few seconds. I did compare mouth opening and breathing rate with the other damsel and there didn't appear to be any difference. I'm familiar with rapid breathing in fish and this one doesn't look like it's doing it.

Maybe the gaping was a once off as I didn't see it doing it today either. Still not eating though and very odd that it went from being bold an explorative to skittish and mostly hiding.

It appears to, at times, come out and look for food but just doesn't seem to actually feed. I've tried Artemia, mysis, and mushed up krill. Might try micro pellets.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish seems to be breathing normally, combined with being inquisitive about food (but not eating) then the only other thing I can think of is some mechanical obstruction. On a fish that small, I don't think there is any way to intervene, you may just have to see if it will work it out. You *could* try netting it up and then returning it to the tank, in the hopes that the handling would cause it to free up any obstruction - but that that's just a wild guess.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back