Azzy's IM Nuvo20 Clown Aquarium

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have decided to share my aquarium here. It is not looking great at the moment, but hey, that's also part of the point right?

A short background: Perhaps because of my biology background and studies in ecology that I do very much embrace the 'from chaos births stability' ethos of aquarium-keeping, which works, even if it does not always generate the best looking at tanks. So I fully understand the other side as well. XD

With that said, I was trying to be a lot more controlled with my newest aquarium, but let just say things did not go according to plan and I had to re-embrace the chaos. :cool:

The aquarium was setted up in early January, and probably from using a combination of live sand, a single piece of live rock, and bottled bacteria, it was cycled within two weeks. Now, there are a lot of definitions for what 'cycling' entails. Mine is that it establishes the microbes needed to take care of the nitrogen compounds I need the microbes to take care of presuming a fully stocked tank, which for this tank is ammonia and nitrite as nitrates I wanted to predominantly delegate to algae. So I dosed 2ppm ammonia to start with, and waited until both ammonia and nitrite goes down to 0 before dosing ammonia again, considering the tank cycled if the microbes can oxidize ammonia to nitrate within a day. So yeah, that happened within two weeks, though I did continue to test its capacity to handle ammonia until there was fish introduced.

It was supposed to originally be an anemone and clownfish tank, but I have now just resorted to it being a clownfish tank - that's what I care about the most. I still have a mini maxi living it up in the aquarium (as far as I can tell), but it's not really a goal to have the clownfish embrace the mini maxi. I decided to instead just go with some easy corals and let them propagate as they like, just to give the aquarium a bit more life - but mainly it is the clownfish that I care about. Why? Well the whole goal of the tank was to crossbreed two species of clownfish that has not been crossbred before. Which is also why you will see that I have a cinnamon clownfish and an ocellaris clownfish. The cinnamon is named Orange and has tried to display dominance over the ocellaris. The ocellaris is named Nemo, and has submitted to Orange. You know, with Orange charging at Nemo and stopping just before hitting Nemo, and Nemo doing the submissive shake and all.

They have taken to my xenia and clove polyp, with Orange loving to smother the xenia. It still seems to be fine (so far XD), and with both my xenia and clove polyp dropping babies all over the tank (and even in the sump), I am sure I'll still have net growth. I also have some other corals that I have chucked it to see if they may grow or not, not a big deal if they don't. I mean I had to accept it since I still have issues with nutrient control and unwanted growth all over. I was ordering from a store that sent me some pretty bad specimens, but instead of tossing them out right away, I had added them in the tank. Well, not quite. There was one instance where I ordered five hermit crabs, and got six shells, one with aiptasia in it. Yeah that, that I handled right away.

I did not have a QT tank set up (just could not get it sorted out), and I had wanted to try to save everything I received. Long story short there were a bunch of deaths, and it was annoying for a while. At one point I actually measured nitrites, which implies just a lot of decomposition, but luckily I scoured the sump, found decomposing stuff stuck underneath two compartments, removed it all and even though there were still nutrient problems, hey at least ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are measuring 0 again.

Things are going in the right direction now, and I don't plan to add anything else. So yeah. :D Will have a QT tank if I do, but for now probably just gonna try to set up a hospital tank and consider a QT tank in the future.

Setup
Innovative Marine NuvoAquarium Fusion 20 - media taken out of caddy, caddy instead used to contain algae in a second chamber
Innovative Marine Nuvo APS Stand [Fusion 20 | Encore 20] - do not get their stand, highly not recommended
AquaIllumination AI Prime 16HD Reef + AquaIllumination 12" Prime Flex Arm
Eheim 125w Heater
MLJ LED Aquarium Light, 18 cm - submersible, added to a second chamber to grow algae
MarinePure Gems (2 packs) - added to the bottom of the chambers in the back except the middle one
Poly-Filter - just extra chemical filtration when necessary
Rock from KP Aquatics (16lb) - most in the display, some in the chambers as extra biomedia
CaribSea AragAlive Pink Sand (20lb)

Live Stock
Amphiprion melanopus, cinnamon clownfish (Sea & Reef Aquaculture) - main fish
Amphiprion ocellaris, ocellaris clownfish (standard morph, Sea & Reef Aquaculture) - main fish
Mithraculus sculptus, emerald crab - cuc
5x Nassarius sp., nassarius snail (Mexico morph) - cuc
4x Nassarius spp. sand snails - cuc
1x Elysia spp., lettuce sea slug - cuc
1x Turbo castanea, chestnut turbo snail - cuc
1x Calcinus seurati, zebra hermit crab - cuc
1x Lithopoma tectum, west indian star snail - cuc
1x Turbo fluctuosa, mexican turbo snail - cuc
1x Engina mendicaria, bumblebee snail - cuc
1x Cerithium litteratum, cerith snail - cuc
1x Margarites pupillus, margarita snail - cuc
1x Neritina virginea, virgin nerite - cuc
1x Astraea tecta, Astrea turbo snail - cuc
1x Clibanarus tricolo, blue-legged hermit crab - cuc
1x Mexican red-legged hermit crab - cuc
5x Berghia sp., berghia nudibranch - pesticide
3x Wholefoods Littleneck Clams - filtration, species unknown but likely Leukoma staminea or Mercenaria mercenaria
CR's Mandarin Orange Clove
3x Acanthastrea
1x ORA Bird of Paradise Birdsnest Coral
1x LiveAquaria® CCGC Aquacultured Red Sea Pom Pom Xenia Coral

1x LiveAquaria® CCGC Aquacultured Silver Branch Pumping Xenia Coral
1x LiveAquaria® CCGC Aquacultured Glove Polyp Coral
3x Green and Red Bullseye Rhodactis Mushroom Coral (Tonga)
1x Brain Coral, Trachyphyllia, Green (Australia)

1x Blue Sympodium
1x Liams Clove Polyps
1x Blue Star Polyps
1x Mini Carpet Anemone

Current Aquarium State (needs so much work T_T)
1614554299332.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good luck with your breeding effort!

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: yesterday morning one of the mushrooms melted completely, so I pulled the plug on the mushrooms, taking the rest of them out and tossing them in the bin. They did not do well from the start, and just never really recovered, so best to do it now.

As for the aquarium, well it is properly cycled, so fortunately I did not have to deal with any elevated concentrations of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. The nitrifiers and algae took care of all of it. :3

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Orange... I think you might be just a bit too big for that xenia there. Why not the glove polyp right near by instead?

Attachments

• 20210309_122625.jpg
    20210309_122625.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went on holidays about a week ago. Had set up an ato and an autofeeder. Unfortunately I could not get the autofeeder to dispense the right amount of food - either too little, or quite a bit more than I'd want. Without really any choice, I opted for the latter. Came home yesterday and found I slightly miscalculated the water volume, it went down way faster than I had hoped from evaporation. Luckily, I added water asap and it seemed to be fine. The Eheim heater did steam a little bit and I was super worried, but it seemed like it did not break or anything so... fingers crossed.

Anyways, the main thing was... I came home to find my tank full of algae, lol. Fish was fine though, just chilling. Corals were mainly fine too, but seemed to did not enjoy all the bubbles my pump was blowing into the tank. >_<"

After a clean, it is back to how it used to be. One of the xenia is sulking (it was not doing great before anyways). The clove and glove polyps are doing great though, as usual. Acan and stuff has since bounced back, despite being smothered a bit by algae. They are pretty tough. Mini-maxi is super chill through this all. The emerald crab and lettuce sea slug seem to REALLY enjoy all the extra algae. Pretty sure the lettuce sea slug is quite a bit bigger now compared to last week. XD

Anyways, before and after pictures:
20210328_175449.jpg

20210328_175355.jpg

Still a lot of algae, but hopefully will get it all resolved eventually.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1617060951292.png

Decided to track my spending. Pretty cool. Dips in expenditure is due to refunds on live stock guarantees and/or sharing of costing with other aquariums.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re brave for that. I’m too scared to chart that info
Ahahaha I think I have been so busy that I have not spent much money on this tank for a while so I felt confident charting it. Was still super scared while doing it that I'd see a massive uptick though. Luckily it was not. XD

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to slowly bring up salinity over the course of a week, but ended up with one of my xenia, one acan, and the trachy all withered away and died.

So had to bring salinity down again and the other corals seem to be fine again. I guess stability is key, and despite trying to very slowly bring up salinity, my corals had adapted to my low salinity now. >_<

Anecdotal though. Maybe it is another factor I am not aware of. But oh well, rip corals.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added three clams to my aquarium. These are the run-of-the-mill grocery clams found on ice. Unlikely to last long, but pretty cool to watch in the mean time.

Attachments

• 20210415_172716.jpg
    20210415_172716.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 75

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have decided to share my aquarium here. It is not looking great at the moment, but hey, that's also part of the point right?

A short background: Perhaps because of my biology background and studies in ecology that I do very much embrace the 'from chaos births stability' ethos of aquarium-keeping, which works, even if it does not always generate the best looking at tanks. So I fully understand the other side as well. XD

With that said, I was trying to be a lot more controlled with my newest aquarium, but let just say things did not go according to plan and I had to re-embrace the chaos. :cool:

The aquarium was setted up in early January, and probably from using a combination of live sand, a single piece of live rock, and bottled bacteria, it was cycled within two weeks. Now, there are a lot of definitions for what 'cycling' entails. Mine is that it establishes the microbes needed to take care of the nitrogen compounds I need the microbes to take care of presuming a fully stocked tank, which for this tank is ammonia and nitrite as nitrates I wanted to predominantly delegate to algae. So I dosed 2ppm ammonia to start with, and waited until both ammonia and nitrite goes down to 0 before dosing ammonia again, considering the tank cycled if the microbes can oxidize ammonia to nitrate within a day. So yeah, that happened within two weeks, though I did continue to test its capacity to handle ammonia until there was fish introduced.

It was supposed to originally be an anemone and clownfish tank, but I have now just resorted to it being a clownfish tank - that's what I care about the most. I still have a mini maxi living it up in the aquarium (as far as I can tell), but it's not really a goal to have the clownfish embrace the mini maxi. I decided to instead just go with some easy corals and let them propagate as they like, just to give the aquarium a bit more life - but mainly it is the clownfish that I care about. Why? Well the whole goal of the tank was to crossbreed two species of clownfish that has not been crossbred before. Which is also why you will see that I have a cinnamon clownfish and an ocellaris clownfish. The cinnamon is named Orange and has tried to display dominance over the ocellaris. The ocellaris is named Nemo, and has submitted to Orange. You know, with Orange charging at Nemo and stopping just before hitting Nemo, and Nemo doing the submissive shake and all.

They have taken to my xenia and clove polyp, with Orange loving to smother the xenia. It still seems to be fine (so far XD), and with both my xenia and clove polyp dropping babies all over the tank (and even in the sump), I am sure I'll still have net growth. I also have some other corals that I have chucked it to see if they may grow or not, not a big deal if they don't. I mean I had to accept it since I still have issues with nutrient control and unwanted growth all over. I was ordering from a store that sent me some pretty bad specimens, but instead of tossing them out right away, I had added them in the tank. Well, not quite. There was one instance where I ordered five hermit crabs, and got six shells, one with aiptasia in it. Yeah that, that I handled right away.

I did not have a QT tank set up (just could not get it sorted out), and I had wanted to try to save everything I received. Long story short there were a bunch of deaths, and it was annoying for a while. At one point I actually measured nitrites, which implies just a lot of decomposition, but luckily I scoured the sump, found decomposing stuff stuck underneath two compartments, removed it all and even though there were still nutrient problems, hey at least ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are measuring 0 again.

Things are going in the right direction now, and I don't plan to add anything else. So yeah. :D Will have a QT tank if I do, but for now probably just gonna try to set up a hospital tank and consider a QT tank in the future.

Setup
Innovative Marine NuvoAquarium Fusion 20 - media taken out of caddy, caddy instead used to contain algae in a second chamber
Innovative Marine Nuvo APS Stand [Fusion 20 | Encore 20] - do not get their stand, highly not recommended
AquaIllumination AI Prime 16HD Reef + AquaIllumination 12" Prime Flex Arm
Eheim 125w Heater
MLJ LED Aquarium Light, 18 cm - submersible, added to a second chamber to grow algae
MarinePure Gems (2 packs) - added to the bottom of the chambers in the back except the middle one
Poly-Filter - just extra chemical filtration when necessary
Rock from KP Aquatics (16lb) - most in the display, some in the chambers as extra biomedia
CaribSea AragAlive Pink Sand (20lb)

Live Stock
Amphiprion melanopus, cinnamon clownfish (Sea & Reef Aquaculture) - main fish
Amphiprion ocellaris, ocellaris clownfish (standard morph, Sea & Reef Aquaculture) - main fish
Mithraculus sculptus, emerald crab - cuc
5x Nassarius sp., nassarius snail (Mexico morph) - cuc
1x Elysia spp., lettuce sea slug - cuc
CR's Mandarin Orange Clove
2x Acanthastrea
1x Acanthastrea
1x ORA Bird of Paradise Birdsnest Coral
1x
1x LiveAquaria® CCGC Aquacultured Red Sea Pom Pom Xenia Coral
1x LiveAquaria® CCGC Aquacultured Silver Branch Pumping Xenia Coral
1x LiveAquaria® CCGC Aquacultured Glove Polyp Coral
3x Green and Red Bullseye Rhodactis Mushroom Coral (Tonga)
1x Brain Coral, Trachyphyllia, Green (Australia)

1x Mini Carpet Anemone
3x Wholefoods Littleneck Clams - filtration, species unknown but likely Leukoma staminea or Mercenaria mercenaria

Current Aquarium State (needs so much work T_T)
1614554299332.jpeg
Love the pair! Look forward to seeing this tank fill out!

Keep us updated on the thread for sure!

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the pair! Look forward to seeing this tank fill out!

Keep us updated on the thread for sure!
Thanks a bunch! It's been two months or so now and Orange and Nemo are still getting along super well! :D Nemo don't eat much but still enough, has not grown too much. Orange is eating about 10x as much and is growing well. Foreseeing a significant size difference in the future.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back