OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back from a weekend away to find quite a bit of salt creep at the front of my tank. >_<"

I've been turning my sump outlets up recently to get more aeration in the tank, and it has worked to bring pH from 7.6 to 7.8, which is nice. But leaves a lot of salt residue outside and today when I checked my parameters even after putting what I can back in, salinity had dropped to 1.0205. Not fun. On a related note, I need calibration fluid for my refractometer.

Part of the reason is because my aquarium is slightly slanted because the floor of my room is slanted. I think I'll have to suck it up and do a massive water change soon, and then have the aquarium be more even, so that I can actually have more water in the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I forgot I had an extra AI 16 Prime HD lying around. Added it to the tabk. Looks so much better now! 20210607_165033.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks like it’s coming along. Can I ask strange request, there’s a local reefer selling Nuvo 20 on Craigslist but the back looks like it has a small window to one of the chambers. I can’t seem to locate any pics of the back of the tank, any chance you can take a quick shot of the back of yours or confirm theirs a small window of some sort?
edit: this is what they show in their pics
1623532796368.jpeg

1623532819217.jpeg

It just looks out of place but who knows

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks like it’s coming along. Can I ask strange request, there’s a local reefer selling Nuvo 20 on Craigslist but the back looks like it has a small window to one of the chambers. I can’t seem to locate any pics of the back of the tank, any chance you can take a quick shot of the back of yours or confirm theirs a small window of some sort?
edit: this is what they show in their pics
1623532796368.jpeg

1623532819217.jpeg

It just looks out of place but who knows
Hi there, I can confirm that there is not normally a window there. I have included a photo of the back of my tank which shows all black.

Do you know if there's a section of the glass that has been cut, or if it's just the black paint or whatever it is? If the latter, then that may be a modification done by the previous owner. Some aquarists do this to have a light there on the outside shining in to grow chaeto or algae or something else to help soak up nutrients.

20210612_170703.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I can confirm that there is not normally a window there. I have included a photo of the back of my tank which shows all black.

Do you know if there's a section of the glass that has been cut, or if it's just the black paint or whatever it is? If the latter, then that may be a modification done by the previous owner. Some aquarists do this to have a light there on the outside shining in to grow chaeto or algae or something else to help soak up nutrients.

20210612_170703.jpg
Thanks for the quick reply. I’m honestly not too sure if it’s just scraped or cut and I haven’t seen it in person yet, but thank you. It’s something to inquire with them about. Thanks again and like I said, your tank looks like it’s coming along great

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I finally calibrated my refractometer today with BRS' solution, and turns out I was measuring like 6ppt lower than it really is lol. No wonder all my corals did terribly every time I tried to raise salinity before. Now it turns out that my salinity is at 1.025 sg, rather than like 1.021 or 1.022. I guess the whole 'don't fix what is not broken' worked for me before, even if it was because I mis-measured before.

On an unrelated note, Orange has popeye. D: I noticed it yesterday. Seems like it is a physical injury. Her eye does look better today though, so hopefully it'll continue to recover on its own.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after I added the second light, my corals and anemone died and a lot of algae grew and even more things died. >_<"

Parameters are all perfect as usual, which is basically expected given that nitrification rates at this point is fine. pH measured by API actually increased recently, to 8.0. I mean that is a change though, but that's definitely within the expected range, and that seems to be more from added surface agitation.

Lesson: if everything is doing fine, maybe be careful with changes.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I kept on having to go away so had to constantly overfeed with the autofeeder. Unfortunately that significantly drove up algae growth and kinda took over my tank. :/

Parameters are still great as per usual, which is not unexpected at all. Fish is enjoying life, so at least that's good.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, seems like things are settling down. Fish still doing fine, algae is receding. Checked temp with a hanna checker just to be 100% sure, and everything is within range. Perhaps I might re-introduce corals soon.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately Orange succumbed to a mysterious disease, turning pure white, the other day. It happened really quickly within a day, and well, only Nemo is now left in the tank. :/ No idea where the disease could have came from.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back