Baby Black Foot Trochus snails?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have a pest I need be concerned about or did the three Black Foot Trochus snails I purchased actually manage to reproduce in my tank?

The snails are small pyramids- exact same shape shell as the three I purchased. See pic. So they seem like miniature versions of the black foot though they aren't black where there baby bodies are (white instead, but similar shape it seems). They seem to be growing, but are still very small. Not sure if they've peaked or will keep growing. They look big in this photo, but that's a nano glass cleaner- they're small.

One of the original black foots did spawn- I saw the puff of smoke. It looked exactly like cigarette smoke coming out of it. Later, two of them hung out up against each other for a few days, but not sure physical intimacy has much to do with how they reproduce since the puff of smoke just went into the water (I guess I assume those weren't babies of some sort, but rather eggs).

The babies emerged from the narrow space between the tank back wall and the synergy reef overflow box- same area the snails were known to hang out at times (cleaning back wall). Does seem like a good place for babies to happen- whatever that means, Mom was always too shy to explain things to me- obviously my biological knowledge here is in need of improvement!

PXL_20210210_042918612.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clean tank coming up !!!

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these things self sustaining then, assuming the same conditions that got me this far?

@vetteguy53081 those babies gotta clean my glass cleaner, that things a hairy mess in the photo! :)

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then good thing I did go with an Bean Animal (Emergency Overflow), though don't think they could clog a pipe, you never know!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back