Baby blue tang itch

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had about 4 baby blue tangs and they all have itch once they go in my main tank. I quarantine them for a month . They’re my last fish to put in my DT and nothing new. Any idea on what I’m doing wrong? It’s a temporary 65g tank and he’s about 3”

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you tried 4 total and 3 died?

How did you QT them?

Did your tank go fallow? Sounds like the tank may be the source of disease.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you tried 4 total and 3 died?

How did you QT them?

Did your tank go fallow? Sounds like the tank may be the source of disease.
I have tried 4x at different times in the past year and 3 died from ich . All my other fishes are fine . I quarantine in a 10g with no meds for a month if it lives that long. I also tried cooper and pazi before it even showed sighs.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank probably got itch. How small of a BT did you try? Sometimes when they’re tiny they won’t survive well if something happens to them.

Also what inhabitants do you have? How often do you feed? Itch hasn’t really kill my blue tang and I think it’s because I feed them heavy a few times a day.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank probably got itch. How small of a BT did you try? Sometimes when they’re tiny they won’t survive well if something happens to them.

Also what inhabitants do you have? How often do you feed? Itch hasn’t really kill my blue tang and I think it’s because I feed them heavy a few times a day.
I have 6 other nano fishes that’s been living in the same tank for a year . They had ich once when I introduced a blue tang in the DT. I feed them 3x a day. My ph is a little high for the amount of feeding I do.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had about 4 baby blue tangs and they all have itch once they go in my main tank. I quarantine them for a month . They’re my last fish to put in my DT and nothing new. Any idea on what I’m doing wrong? It’s a temporary 65g tank and he’s about 3”
If your main tank has ich, the only real way to fix it is to let it lie fallow for 72 days.

To do this you need to move all your fish to another tank, treat them with copper for a month and then wait until the main tank has been fishless for 72 days.

Otherwise everytime you put in a new tang it will get infected.

Alternatively you can try to manage ich with a big oversized UV on the main tank running at a flow rate slow enough to kill the ich in its free swimming phase.

Keeping the fish well fed will help prevent illness if you want to go the managed route with UV.

That is what I'm currently doing.

Regards
Graham.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your main tank has ich, the only real way to fix it is to let it lie fallow for 72 days.

To do this you need to move all your fish to another tank, treat them with copper for a month and then wait until the main tank has been fishless for 72 days.

Otherwise everytime you put in a new tang it will get infected.

Alternatively you can try to manage ich with a big oversized UV on the main tank running at a flow rate slow enough to kill the ich in its free swimming phase.

Keeping the fish well fed will help prevent illness if you want to go the managed route with UV.

That is what I'm currently doing.

Regards
Graham.
my fish in my display tank has been ich-free for more than 72 days. My blue tang is the only fish was visible ich though/ Ill just try to feed more and I moved the blue tang back to quarantine. hopefully, it survives the cooper. ;(

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my fish in my display tank has been ich-free for more than 72 days. My blue tang is the only fish was visible ich though/ Ill just try to feed more and I moved the blue tang back to quarantine. hopefully, it survives the cooper. ;(
If there has been ich in your display tank, the only way to be sure it has all gone is to let it go fallow for 72 days, with no fish in the tank.

A single fish showing no symptoms can harbor the parasite just waiting for your new tang, which due to its very thin slime coat is very susceptable to ich.

Blue tangs are ich magnets.

You can try to manage the problem with a big UV that kills the parasite when it is free swimming, and feeding fish very well with fish oil added. Plus a lot of Nori sheets.

Regards
Graham.

Last edited:

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 other nano fishes that’s been living in the same tank for a year . They had ich once when I introduced a blue tang in the DT. I feed them 3x a day. My ph is a little high for the amount of feeding I do.
What size tank do you have and what are the other inhabitants?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those fish are not ich free. They are just not showing visible symptoms. They are serving as hosts to keep a low level infection going. Probably through the gills. Which is why when you add a Tang. A new fish that is more prone to disease, it gets visibly sick.

If you want to stop killing baby Tangs. You need to run fallow and remove all your nano fish and treat them.

Or you can try dropping a couple hundred bucks on a very large UV (not the cheap garbage UVs) and measure the flow and pick up a doser and try peroxide dosing with it. As is popular on another forum for in tank treatments but not a cheap solution. It is also experimental.

Last edited:

rd62rdstr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed if ich was in the tank the other fish have it but are healthy and their immune system is strong. More than likely the stress from the tank change made the tang susceptible to it. I had the same issue. Add a strong UV, leave the tang in there and feed top notch foods. I am feeding aqua forest liquid Artemia blend and they love it. Tang cleared up in two days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back