Baby brine shrimp about to die?

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys so I figured out a way to keep my freshly hatched brine shrimp alive for a few days so I'm not wasting eggs and have multiple feedings. Well I've noticed this morning they aren't that orange color anymore they are basically clear. Is this because they are at the end of their life and probably about to die? They were hatched I'd day atleast 4 days ago. Thanks

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys so I figured out a way to keep my freshly hatched brine shrimp alive for a few days so I'm not wasting eggs and have multiple feedings. Well I've noticed this morning they aren't that orange color anymore they are basically clear. Is this because they are at the end of their life and probably about to die? They were hatched I'd day atleast 4 days ago. Thanks
If you haven’t started feeding them, yes, they will die. The yolk sack they are hatched with only lasts a day or two.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that orange color is their yolk sac and the really healthy part of the shrimp and when you should feed them to your fish. In a day or two they lose most of their nutrition so there is not much use feeding them to anything. It won't hurt, just not as good.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok makes since because they are still swimming just they are clear now not that orangish color. I have spirulina powder should I feed that or no? You mentioned that after the yolk sac is gone they aren't very nutritional anymore correct?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can feed them the spirulina.. just don’t over do it with any food you give them. A little bit goes a long way. You can also feed them a TINY bit of boiled egg yolk. You should have a bubbler in the water to keep the food moving throughout the water column. From my understanding about nutritional aspect, is they are have a higher fat content after just hatching, but turn into higher protein as they move towards adulthood. My fish enjoying eating both the freshly hatched and the adults.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to get them to full adulthood before. I'm still trying to get them to make it that far. I have a bubbler in there so it's constantly moving them and the water. Yes I herd the spirulina will foul the water quick so feed lightly. My fish had not problem eating them this morning as they love live brine shrimp. Just didn't know if the color change was them dieing off or something. Thanks

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to get them to full adulthood before. I'm still trying to get them to make it that far. I have a bubbler in there so it's constantly moving them and the water. Yes I herd the spirulina will foul the water quick so feed lightly. My fish had not problem eating them this morning as they love live brine shrimp. Just didn't know if the color change was them dieing off or something. Thanks

I’ve kept mine alive in a five gallon bucket for a little over 4 weeks now with changing the water about once a week. They start reproducing around 2 1/2 weeks and get to a really good size around 3 to 3 1/2 weeks. I feed phyto about everyday and boiled egg yolk every few days.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always raised them on regular yeast. But they yolk sac is more nutritious IMO

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason to try to keep brine alive, feed them as soon as they hatch, this is when they are an OK food source, that's what they are for

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them as soon as hatched but I make so many since I have multiple tanks and I don't want to waste them I keep them alive for a few days atleast before making a new batch

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to check into getting a 5 gallon bucket and put a airstone in it and see what comes about. May make a brine shrimp breeding farm who knows lol. I will definitely check into that

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them as soon as hatched but I make so many since I have multiple tanks and I don't want to waste them I keep them alive for a few days atleast before making a new batch
They are not able to eat for the first 24hrs, they don’t have the machinery.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned the red colour is their yolk sac which only lasts a couple days. After that you have to start feeding them or they will die. Also feeding them will give them extra nutrition for your fish. As others have mentioned the yolk sac is the nutritious part for fish so once that's gone there is no nutrition for the fish. I keep mine for about four or five days which is how long it takes to use them up but I start to gut load them after the second day of hatching. I feed them phyto and I add selcon and vitachem vitamins.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading alot about selcon in eople's homemade fish foods. And u didn't mean I feed the brine shrimp I ment feed them to my fish. I dont feed the brine shrimp at all as I have so many tanks by day 3 they are almost all gone.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a freshwater tank that has over 30 fish in it and they are pigs lol so a good amount is eaten up by them

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading alot about selcon in eople's homemade fish foods. And u didn't mean I feed the brine shrimp I ment feed them to my fish. I dont feed the brine shrimp at all as I have so many tanks by day 3 they are almost all gone.
I don't have a lot of fish (it's a 5g) so I would be throwing a lot out if I didn't feed the brine shrimp. LOL

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my experience in the past when I added spirulina powder to the water they died even quicker but maybe that's because I put to much but I was only putting a small drop since I know their mouths are tiny. And I could never seem to get it to sink into water column.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 139 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back