Baby clown death on day 23

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a baby clown die at 23 days. I was under the impression that everything was safe at this point.
Does anyone know what the cause could be? I'd like to avoid any more deaths.

I've checked the water parameters and they all look good. Multiple filters and airstones as well, so there should be enough oxygen.
I've been feeding them enriched rotifers three times a day and small amounts of TDO every hour or so.
I they look well fed, but could over-feeding also be harmful to them? (physically, not in regards to water quality).
I'm also wandering if stress could be a problem. I've put in a mix of macro algaes like sea-lettuce for them to hide in, but they haven't taken to it. I've seen other breeders use PVC pipes, would this be better for them?

Thank you for any help/advice anyone can give.

IMG_20220808_204527.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a natrual selection as some will make it days to weeks before birth defects show thier ugly head, also it be could stresses from water changes and lighting on/off and of course fighting each other.
try using a lighting schedule that comes on during light hours and when doing water changes use a drip sytem to add new water... doesnt take much for them to have a panic attack.

good luck trial and error is the best learning... been breeding clowns for over 30 years and alsways learning.
I did send you a DM btw.

OP
OP
An_Enemy

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a natrual selection as some will make it days to weeks before birth defects show thier ugly head, also it be could stresses from water changes and lighting on/off and of course fighting each other.
try using a lighting schedule that comes on during light hours and when doing water changes use a drip sytem to add new water... doesnt take much for them to have a panic attack.

good luck trial and error is the best learning... been breeding clowns for over 30 years and alsways learning.
I did send you a DM btw.
Thanks for advice. I've got them on an automatic lighting cycle and drip in new water over the whole day. It never occurred to me that birth defects could cause problems this far into development though.
I'm not sure if I'd want to breed them again, but at least I've learned some things to do better next time if I do.
I'll take a look at your DM now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just had a baby clown die at 23 days. I was under the impression that everything was safe at this point.
Does anyone know what the cause could be? I'd like to avoid any more deaths.

I've checked the water parameters and they all look good. Multiple filters and airstones as well, so there should be enough oxygen.
I've been feeding them enriched rotifers three times a day and small amounts of TDO every hour or so.
I they look well fed, but could over-feeding also be harmful to them? (physically, not in regards to water quality).
I'm also wandering if stress could be a problem. I've put in a mix of macro algaes like sea-lettuce for them to hide in, but they haven't taken to it. I've seen other breeders use PVC pipes, would this be better for them?

Thank you for any help/advice anyone can give.

IMG_20220808_204527.jpeg
my be aggression, internal parasite, external parasite especially if you saw fish looking hazy with less color or rapid breathing
Hard to assess actual cause especially if fish has been dead more than two hours which seems cleaners already got to it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back