Baby clown triggerfish fading?

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had this clown triggerfish in quarantine for a month with copper. It eats and swims normal however recently it seems to be fading. Any suggestions?

Resized_20210925_143120.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure it’s getting adequate oxygen and proper diet with selcon vitamins added to the foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had this clown triggerfish in quarantine for a month with copper. It eats and swims normal however recently it seems to be fading. Any suggestions?

Resized_20210925_143120.jpeg
Is it faded more due to stress from being in the cup for the photo? It looks really unhappy. Can you post a short video of it swimming in the tank?
If it has been in copper for 30 days, you should consider removing the copper and dosing with praziquantel, just to limit the chance of flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
A

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it faded more due to stress from being in the cup for the photo? It looks really unhappy. Can you post a short video of it swimming in the tank?
If it has been in copper for 30 days, you should consider removing the copper and dosing with praziquantel, just to limit the chance of flukes.
Jay
I went to the LFS and they recommended seachem Focus and Metroplex in the food which I started treatment of that. I will get a video of him swimming. He may not be happy but he looks like that recently.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS and they recommended seachem Focus and Metroplex in the food which I started treatment of that. I will get a video of him swimming. He may not be happy but he looks like that recently.
Sigh, Focus + Metroplex is so often recommended, but the reality is, it can’t work! Metronidazole needs to be at 5000ppm in food to be effective, and it is so bitter at that dose, fish won’t eat it. If the fish eat it, the dose is too low.
Even the Focus instructions don’t agree between the box and the tube. Take a look in the library section here for an article I wrote on medicated foods (sorry I can’t link you to it, I’m on my phone).

Try to get a video, that might provide more clues.
Jay

OP
OP
A

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh, Focus + Metroplex is so often recommended, but the reality is, it can’t work! Metronidazole needs to be at 5000ppm in food to be effective, and it is so bitter at that dose, fish won’t eat it. If the fish eat it, the dose is too low.
Even the Focus instructions don’t agree between the box and the tube. Take a look in the library section here for an article I wrote on medicated foods (sorry I can’t link you to it, I’m on my phone).

Try to get a video, that might provide more clues.
Jay

Attachments

• 20210926_164453.mp4
    74.9 KB
OP
OP
A

acomps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay sorry about the low quality video. You can see the fish swim. Sorry I don't have great light and I am taking water from the main tank so the water should be clear. Can you recommend a praziquantel? When I google that I am not sure what to get. Thanks again it seems to be eating and swimming fine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay sorry about the low quality video. You can see the fish swim. Sorry I don't have great light and I am taking water from the main tank so the water should be clear. Can you recommend a praziquantel? When I google that I am not sure what to get. Thanks again it seems to be eating and swimming fine
Yes, the video seems down sampled or something. Is that a big puffer in with the trigger? Any concerns about aggression?
A lot of people use General Cure for praziquantel. It also contains metronidazole that can help against some protozoans. I use bulk praziquantel myself, but for smaller tanks I’ve been using Prazipro. With that, you just need to ensure that you increase the aeration to the tank.
Jay

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very risky fish as a young clown , high risk of death even with full colors..ditch the copper and focus on feeding him. Water change , bag of carbon in filter. PE Mysis and life spectrum pellets, the tiny ones. Get him some shelter too...pvc pipe.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back