Baby clown with pinched stomach and stringy poop

loftreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one clown who i have seen with white stringy poo, and today it has a pinched stomach. I have read through Humble's guide on this and have been trying to feed them Metro+Focus in an array of different foods. Normally (without Metro/focus) they go crazy for flakes and pick at mysis/brine/rods/etc. I have been trying to mix Metro/Focus into different foods like Brine/Mysis/Rod's, but the second they sense the Metro they avoid it like the plague. Can I soak flakes with this?

I do have the supplies to set up a hospital tank and I have on hand:
HydroPlex
Kana/Metroplex
Focus
Ich-X
Rally
Prazi
Copper Power

Suggested course of action?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one clown who i have seen with white stringy poo, and today it has a pinched stomach. I have read through Humble's guide on this and have been trying to feed them Metro+Focus in an array of different foods. Normally (without Metro/focus) they go crazy for flakes and pick at mysis/brine/rods/etc. I have been trying to mix Metro/Focus into different foods like Brine/Mysis/Rod's, but the second they sense the Metro they avoid it like the plague. Can I soak flakes with this?

I do have the supplies to set up a hospital tank and I have on hand:
HydroPlex
Kana/Metroplex
Focus
Ich-X
Rally
Prazi
Copper Power

Suggested course of action?

So - that is the dirty secret of metro/focus, it can NEVER work! My joke is - if you reach a suitable treatment level of metronidazole (5000ppm) the fish won't eat it. If your fish eat it, you aren't at an effective dose. Forty years ago, I had some success doping treated food with cod liver oil to mask the taste. There is also a related drug, dimetridazole that is less bitter, and I've gotten cichlids to eat that pretty well. I'm working really hard to get people to stop this, but it is so firmly entrenched, it seems like I'm posting about it every day.

There is a variety of reasons for clowns to have stringy feces. I talk about some of them in this article:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/
(the pdf is off on the right of the page).

When General Cure was available, I would suggest people dose with that, but it is difficult to find now. You could try dosing the tank with Metroplex, but you should do that in a treatment tank.

Jay

Back