OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity What’s your plans for filtration? I just noticed the tanks not drilled or anything
I will be drilling it, I have an eshopps eclipse overflow and I'll be using a 40 gallon breeder for the sump. The only way that tank came reef ready was with a corner overflow and it wouldn't have looked right

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a little more finished

20190702_200631.jpg

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made a bit more progress, although now I'm thinking that the 40 breeder may be a little too big under the stand and make things difficult to access. I'm using a 20 long for my current sump, I might consider reusing it for this build

20190705_172338.jpg

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to reuse my 20 gallon sump and returned the 40 breeder, I'd love the extra capacity but there just wasn't enough room for maintenance under the stand. I just finished my first hole

20190705_223031.jpg

How was cutting the hole? I get so nervous about that, and I've cracked a tank before too, granted it was very thin glass.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was cutting the hole? I get so nervous about that, and I've cracked a tank before too, granted it was very thin glass.

take your time, very little pressure and tons of water.
I cut my 10g's without any issue. I believe that they're 1/8th

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take your time, very little pressure and tons of water.
I cut my 10g's without any issue. I believe that they're 1/8th

Do you just have someone pour water on it slowly? I'm debating if I should cut the holes myself in my new build to save money, or just have a professional do it when they make my new tank. I'm sure it's not that expensive, but I have to drill regardless because I'm going to make the returns and bulkhead larger in my current tank anyway.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much everyone! This is the 4th tank I've drilled and fortunately I haven't cracked one yet. I use a method that my lfs told me about and use vegetable oil instead of water, I drilled it right on the stand and just taped some paper towels underneath it to catch the drips. I put a little bit of oil in a paper cup and dipped the bit every now and then when it started to get dry, it only takes a small amount of oil and isn't very messy at all. I also completly cover the back side of the plug with masking tape so it stays in place as soon as you get all the way through. I actually took a short video clip because I figured someone would be interested in how I do it

Last edited:

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to derail too bad,
the 10g I took outside and ran the hose on them while drilling. thats by far my preferred method if possible.
the 40B I drilled full and had my son squirt water on it from a bottle while drilling, took my time with that one definitely, but drilled 3 holes with no issue.
the thicker the glass the more forgiving in my experience. just be super careful when it brakes through and be very gentle.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a lot of work this weekend the tank is drilled, filled, and running with my old sump. I still have a lot of tweaking to do and I need to aquascape. Fortunately I have coral on almost all of my live rock, unfortunately that prevented me from aquascaping before the tank was filled. Stay tuned because there will still be a lot of changes. I'll probably upgrade the sump sometime soon, when I simulated a power outage the sump didn't overflow but was too close to the top for my liking

20190708_180318.jpg

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a lot of work this weekend the tank is drilled, filled, and running with my old sump. I still have a lot of tweaking to do and I need to aquascape. Fortunately I have coral on almost all of my live rock, unfortunately that prevented me from aquascaping before the tank was filled. Stay tuned because there will still be a lot of changes. I'll probably upgrade the sump sometime soon, when I simulated a power outage the sump didn't overflow but was too close to the top for my liking

20190708_180318.jpg

I was never into the completely blued out look, but I love that color. Are you going to add some white in that or keep it that shade of blue?

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never into the completely blued out look, but I love that color. Are you going to add some white in that or keep it that shade of blue?
I do have a cheaper led with white lights that I didn't have hooked up yet when I took the pic. I plan on using that with a 6 bulb T5 fixture that I've had in my garage and couldn't fit on my old tank. I'll have to play around with the colors before I settle on what I like best

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back