BABY FOOD!!! ROTIFERS!!

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ALL!! So I’ve breed clowns for a few months and gained a wealth of knowladge but if only I didn’t have to stress... Searching I found some interesting and questionable things so I bring all that goodness here! Culturing takes it time on me so looking for other options and would love some help. I’m slowing down my progress and afraid of losing my cultures. Back ups or a secondary way to feed so less culture time. I’m looking for rotifers I can not stress over. Thanks Pics are for attention and a possible option. Also the frozen if stays in suspension and they hunt them? Active hunters need active food

0E00AD9B-D720-43D3-9C64-21BD5DCD2E9D.jpeg

E8B1640C-95EA-4327-A159-AD0A54745484.png

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that apex pods from Reed Mariculture are hardy and seem to multiply quickly. I'm not sure how they are as a first food item for clowns but I feed my pod cultures every other day.

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a days work of searching and asking breeders, I’m left with no one has tried using anything else. I will be trying frozen rotifers in blister. I know what works but just don’t have time to feed the cultures. Maybe I’ll just use a drip line on the rotifers from the algae Culture to burn... as long as the frozen roti is suspended and attracts attention it should work. If anyone has knowladge of frozen not working lmk. I’ll probably lose the clutch but it’s her 1st packed clutch. Normally it’s less orange and small. Has to be 300 fry THANKS

3D6B7313-C245-43BF-A3CD-C1E28DE9A0C1.jpeg

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed my order with Florida farms being in in Florida also so cheaper. Roti, nanno, tetra, and chlorella algae’s for a wide range of proteins, lipids. Omega.
After 1st day of eating, I will actively watch the fry for hunting the frozen rotifers. I will most likely move some to a seperate tank for frozen incase of die off and using dead food also. After months I’ve learned live food is easier to feed asking as die off is regulated. Some say “to0 much nitrites come” but only if not regulated so far I’ve found. I will be adding regardless of attention to post for future attempts. Thank you all

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how are you. Wanted to say hi. I’ve got the Breeding Striped Blennies thread here. I can help you out with your issues. I breed many species of marine ornamental fish and shrimp. I love to do it. Something I’m passionate about. I do a crazy amount of research as well. I culture all my first foods and have been for awhile. I’ve made and learned from a lot of mistakes, but now I’m able to maintain and harvest all the Copepods and Rotifers I need, a few species. They are all different with different needs. Being proficient in culturing copepods will give you the best results by far. You use sieves to separate the nauplii or make a passive harvester using air and pvc.
ed33ab8e767e1831f8d9bd542e3fa6a2.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and try the frozen rotifers. The problem is most larvae won’t eat them and you can’t get enough nutrients that are critical for their survival. Mainly the fatty acids.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can send you some of my live rotifers so you can culture your own. Just pay for the shipping to get there. I’m not a businesses or anything like that so that’s why it’s free, lol. You can culture them simply by using one of the common feeds that are out on the market that take care of the nutrient factor as well. They multiply exponentially. Within just a few days you’ll have more than you’ll ever need ! Skip the frozen. I theory I don’t think it will work out. Just because of the lack of correct nutrients for larval development.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a days work of searching and asking breeders, I’m left with no one has tried using anything else. I will be trying frozen rotifers in blister. I know what works but just don’t have time to feed the cultures. Maybe I’ll just use a drip line on the rotifers from the algae Culture to burn... as long as the frozen roti is suspended and attracts attention it should work. If anyone has knowladge of frozen not working lmk. I’ll probably lose the clutch but it’s her 1st packed clutch. Normally it’s less orange and small. Has to be 300 fry THANKS

3D6B7313-C245-43BF-A3CD-C1E28DE9A0C1.jpeg

Sorry to keep commenting but I’m observant. Haha. I congratulate u on your spawning succes with your clownfish. I did notice that the color of those eggs looks off to me. I’m no clown expert. My guess, the nutrient issue or lack thereof. It can be fixed easily to make your clutches bigger and larvae more lively.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really takes little time to maintain a Rotifer culture. You will need a 5 gallon bucket, air pump, air tubing, rigid air tubing, a Rotifer sieve, saltwater and phytoplankton. I culture live phytoplankton but don’t use it for rotifers. They consume a lot! I use my live phytoplankton for culturing copepods. Reed Mariculture/ Reef Nutrition have a phytoplankton concentrate called Rotifer Diet. It works great! Use that product and maintaining a culture is so easy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back