Baby harlequin shrimp just born!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know the frustration all to well of losing eggs, larva, and fry. You did some good things throughout this process and learned. Keep at it!

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the frustration all to well of losing eggs, larva, and fry. You did some good things throughout this process and learned. Keep at it!
Thank you I will. Completely unexpected and scrambling after they were born to figure out what they eat and where to get it

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you I will. Completely unexpected and scrambling after they were born to figure out what they eat and where to get it

Yes, I've been there many times. I have bred about 100 different species of fish between FW and SW and while there are similarities between species, there are also a lot of differences. I have found that Chad at @Reef Nutrition is a great resource and Reef Nutrition is a great source for rotifers, rotifer supplements, copepods, copepod systems, and more.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've been there many times. I have bred about 100 different species of fish between FW and SW and while there are similarities between species, there are also a lot of differences. I have found that Chad at @Reef Nutrition is a great resource and Reef Nutrition is a great source for rotifers, rotifer supplements, copepods, copepod systems, and more.
Thank you so much. Really sad more than I thought I would be they were so cute but after doing some reading and finding out how hard they are to raise I knew this might not go according to plan. I have two pair because they are just so cool but never really gave much thought to them having babies. I think my other female is still to young to breed but it is only a matter of time. So I will have two breeding pairs shortly. Would love to figure out how to raise them. I am a highly determined individual and take failure personally so I have the tools to give this my best shot. Right now the glass is half full since the babies made it to day two and I had no clue what I was doing and they lived longer than they would have in the tank. I discovered they had been born when out of the corner of my eye after lights out (about an hour like the literate says) the fish were darting around the tank when they are usually sleeping they were feasting they loved this zooplankton more than the brine shrimp treat

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As cruel as it may seem, I think in the wild the parents rip a starfish arm off and lay it upside down, still living, in their den. The newly hatched larvae feed off the tube feet. Perhaps a sacrificial linckia arm?

They stay alive for days without much ammonia buildup because the arm is still 'alive' as long as part of the body is attached.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin shrimp just born Friday June 12th about 30 minutes after lights out. Same behavior noted in female. Female came out of the cave with male about two hours before lights out and I noticed shrimp about 30 minutes after lights out. I think it has been 21 days since last hatch

45FA0157-0312-48FE-9A4B-E02DFDDCFB32.jpeg 06BC6E91-3C21-4877-A0FB-EFD8D84DAD5A.jpeg 8461AC87-C8D6-4C9A-86A2-D7358B56CB98.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3173.MOV
    37 MB
Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom raise a different type of shrimp, but their filtration system was interesting the shrimp were in a bucket the bucket had a holes in the bottom sitting in a frag tank like I think 6 inches of sand at least and water would poor from the open side of the bucket through the sand, so kind of acted like biological filtration and the shrimp were in there, but baby shrimp, but I think you need to get certain starfish they like and maybe some live algae from Reef nutrition, my thinking. But your guess is as good as mine

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread on breeding peppermint shrimp using the setup mentioned by @Dr. Dendrostein

I don't know if this setup would work for the species in question, but it might give you some ideas.

Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Food source is most important factor right now. They must eat and water needs to be fairly clean. Rotifiers may not be answer but worth a try as are small worms such as redworms or white worms

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good amount survive? estimate?current :cool:

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food source is most important factor right now. They must eat and water needs to be fairly clean. Rotifiers may not be answer but worth a try as are small worms such as redworms or white worms
From what little literature I could find they seem to eat the s strain of rotifers but then another log said they don’t eat anything for the first two days

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good amount survive? estimate?current :cool:
None survived the night so about 12 hours. Last batch lasted a day. Changes from last time (1) added a small amount of decapsulated brine (2) but a plate over the fish bowl to cut down on evaporation (3) put in a chocolate chip star. Unfortunately my phytoplankton culture crashed and ordered some more a few days ago so had to warm up the remaining culture that was in the refrigerator.
looks like I have a breeding pair that will release zooplankton every 20 days. I do not have a rotifer culture since they are a lot of daily work to maintain but will purchase some a week before the next 20 days and will try that with the next batch. I first thought lack of food was the issue but found a breeding log that said they don’t eat the first two days so I am not sure what is the issue

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back