Baby RED fungia plate corals! NEW UPDATE!!! JULY 1st!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still smaller than a dine, actually half the size. :( I guess the crowding has been the killer.

since you have so many- maybe try popping one or two off and see what happens? Put them somewhere with moderate flow, but that you'd be able to target feed some small food like cyclopeze or mini-mysis and see what their survival rate is?

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, the ones I had form, freed themselves at the diameter of a pencil. Tought to handle at that size, but makes them easier to glue to a plug for sure... Then again the green ones seem to grow like rockets.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You glued them to a frag plug?! You do realize that they are somewhat mobile, right?

CJ

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine to glue babies to keep track of them, they are mobile only to find better conditions, if it needs better conditions in captivity, I would prefer to fix by dosing, or filtration, rather than have such a small coral decide to start moving. I still cannot find a mini carpet nem, I see it once in a while, but it moves all over, bugs the hell out of me.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev's been using them to replace the missing pieces in his Connect Four game! If anyone has a black fungia plate coral he might be interested in trading.

connect-four.jpg

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they growing on stalks? I had something kicking around in my DT that was eventually identified as a baby fungia and it's growing on a little pedistal. I was able to cut the stalk and mount it onto a tile for growout.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I hope I'm on here at the rite time when you decide to post f/s thread I would definetly buy one hope all goes well with the babies

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, how's your colony doing? Mine has begun popping off babies for the past month, making sharing very easy. They have grown quite large in the past 7 months since the new tank went up. Wish I had a red one to put next to my greens in time for Xmas. ;)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate to say this but I might as well get it over with. They all dies away. They had slowly died off and I figured some would, but a couple of weeks ago I added some new shrimp and crabs and a couple of days later the 20+ ones I had were all cleaned off. :( I did sell a frag of 9 and a frag of 2 though a while back. I had fragged those off and then got scared to frag them off when someone told me they wouldn't grow back. I wish I would have fragged the whole thing now. So sorry to have to tell you all that. It's embarrassing and a shame.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh I still have the mother skeleton and am hoping she will produce some more but I don't know.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hang in there, you'll get more from it.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well, live and learn. This hobby is all about learning, no matter how long you have been at it. Thanks for sharing though, maybe we can learn something from this experience.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main reason why I don't have cleaner shrimps, hermit crabs, crabs and etc. in my tank 'cause they're gonna start eating something in my tank! Oh yeah ... picked up a nice lemon lime with purple rim skirt Fungia yesterday!!

Sorry to hear about the Red Fungia loss Rev!!! :sad:

Paul

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev,

Sorry to hear about it. During the period of loss, did you by chance change ALK parameters? Either levels or from a reactor to doser, or solution source or salts or anything like that which would be ALK related?

Thanks,
-WD?

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the shrimp picked the skeleton clean, I don't know if you'll get more babies. I had a cleaner shrimp with mine in the 100g vat during those 7 months of building the new tank, and it didn't seem interested at all in the fungia plate.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know that the shrimp did anything. Just a thought as to what happened.

Jeremy I can't say for sure what caused the issue to be honest. How are your babies doing?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back