Baby RFA?

Kygo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on the rock my RFA was on when I bought him. He found a spot in the rocks and dropped this, trying to get an ID so I can leave it in or if I should remove. It's reddish in color
Screenshot_20210308-105558_Gallery.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on the rock my RFA was on when I bought him. He found a spot in the rocks and dropped this, trying to get an ID so I can leave it in or if I should remove. It's reddish in color
Screenshot_20210308-105558_Gallery.jpg

I'm not 100% about this, but from this photo I'd say that's not a RFA baby. Or even a RFA. Now remember, I said based on this photo AND that I'm not 100% sure. ;Hilarious;Hilarious
In the photo below there are 2 babies at the upper right and 1 at the upper left (next to the 7 orange & yellow zoas). There is also 1 at the lower right and 4 or 5 more tucked just under the edge of the biggest RFA at about 7 to 8 oclock, to the right of the maxi-mini anemone.
20190118_114455 R2.jpg

All the baby RFAs I've had in my tanks (and in other people's tanks) have been super small and look more like tiny zoas or tiny RFA, not like a bumpy lump like the one in the photo.

Is it possible that this is the RFA you had? That it might be struggling or sick?

I assume you have touched it and that it is soft, like an anemone? Does it react to touch? Do any tentacles ever come out, or does it just stay bumpy like that all the time?

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a couple babies I currently have in my tank.....

Here are 2 that crawled out from under mommas skirt:
Resized_20210223_145416.jpeg

And another from the same birth that was crawling up the glass:
Resized_20210223_150136.jpeg

But you can see they still look like RFA's or small zoas.

OP
OP
K

Kygo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't touch it, but it does flow in the current. It appears soft. It doesn't have sweeper tentacles. I really just wanted to make sure it wasn't aptasia which I don't think it is. Then second is making sure it isn't some nuisance hitchhiker. I think it looks more like a small mushroom than anything. Also I don't think my RFA is sick, he actually really big. 2" across, maybe bigger.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't touch it, but it does flow in the current. It appears soft. It doesn't have sweeper tentacles. I really just wanted to make sure it wasn't aptasia which I don't think it is. Then second is making sure it isn't some nuisance hitchhiker. I think it looks more like a small mushroom than anything. Also I don't think my RFA is sick, he actually really big. 2" across, maybe bigger.
If I were in your position, I'd just keep a close eye on it. I don't know what it is, but I suspect it's not anything harmful.

I guess that because I bring home lots of wild collected 'stuff' from the Florida Keys, from an estuary in Ft Myers and even off the beach on Sanibel Island. I've found very few 'things' in the water that have been harmful. Carnivorous mollusks are probably the guys I watch out for the most as I sometimes get lots of very small mollusks (like 1/16th of an inch) when I collect in the estuary.

OP
OP
K

Kygo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What it is, does appear to be growing. Anyone seen anything similar?
Screenshot_20210312-121048_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kygo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell could be majano anemone (pest)
Interesting, I haven't heard that but it could be. It doesn't have tentacles around the outside though, they're more around the center. I'm trying to figure it out sooner than later so I can take care of it before it multiplies. Would you say just remove it and not take the chance? I was hoping I got a mushroom for free but I think it makes more sense to just not risk it and just remove it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back