**Baby Rock Flower Anemones!** Reproduction at Corals.com! Share your stories too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but I'd monitor closely and make sure they are multiplying and spreading.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more picture for size reference. I would say the largest ones in these photos are about 1/2 cm and the largest one in my tank is about 1cm. I first noticed them @May 17th.
I still stand by my original thought, they look like RFA to me, but I'm no expert. Mine do definitely start white/colorless. I see a bit of green the oral disk part on a couple of yours which feels like RFA to me, and the "serrated" type tentacles definitely mine have that too when they're babies. Genetics seem to matter, it's probable that if you have more subdued coloring on the adults then the babies may end up a little more subdued. Lighting absolutely matters, heavy blue may show more color than if you use 10-15K lighting.

Either way, good luck! :)

MockandRoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are baby RFAs. I have a 40g that started with 2 ultra RFA. Now my tank has between 100-200 RFA at any time. I always have babies on the rock or sand. I have high flow and they still survive. Because the RFAs took over my tank, I actually stopped testing the water and just do water changes. I had some great colonies before the RFA started reproducing. That was about 2 years ago. Since then my corals have suffered and I lost a few colonies. Now my tank is a "only the strong survive" and has become very easy to maintain. Plus the colors under the blues at night are awesome.

Nicroper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are baby RFAs. I have a 40g that started with 2 ultra RFA. Now my tank has between 100-200 RFA at any time. I always have babies on the rock or sand. I have high flow and they still survive. Because the RFAs took over my tank, I actually stopped testing the water and just do water changes. I had some great colonies before the RFA started reproducing. That was about 2 years ago. Since then my corals have suffered and I lost a few colonies. Now my tank is a "only the strong survive" and has become very easy to maintain. Plus the colors under the blues at night are awesome.
I am starting to truly believe they are RFAs. I have a couple now that are almost dime sized, and a ton that are still tiny. I think I will make the tank a zoa and RFA tank since they are so easy to care for. It seemed like the "mom" RFA had really shrank during the spawning, but has since gotten larger like before.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still all the same drab brown color?

Nicroper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still all the same drab brown color?
The largest one is looking more purplish like the "dad" and there are several that are starting to get green in color like the the "mom". They have the same colors as the parents. I think the color is off cause I don't have any of the really colorful ones to begin with so they seem drab compared to the other pictures on here.

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest one is looking more purplish like the "dad" and there are several that are starting to get green in color like the the "mom". They have the same colors as the parents. I think the color is off cause I don't have any of the really colorful ones to begin with so they seem drab compared to the other pictures on here.
More pics now that they have colored up and grown would be cool

Nicroper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it has been a while, but I thought I would update for future lookers. They were RFAs and most of them have survived and grown. I think they spawn often. I don't do anything special to this tank. It is in our Biology class room and I work on a budget, so just some basic water changes and cleaning. I feed once a week and there are no fish. Hope this helps future people with little colorless anemones that look like pests!

Attachments

• RFA 1.jpg
    RFA 1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 36
  • RFA2.jpg
    RFA2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 30
  • RFA3.jpg
    RFA3.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 35

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice teenage rock flowers you have there.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience keeping a peppermint shrimp in with their rock flowers. Our peppermint happens to be a very capable aiptasia assassin. I wonder if it might pick off the baby rock flower nems, if I am ever lucky enough to experience such an event.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wondering if anyone here has any experience keeping a peppermint shrimp in with their rock flowers. Our peppermint happens to be a very capable aiptasia assassin. I wonder if it might pick off the baby rock flower nems, if I am ever lucky enough to experience such an event.
IMHO it's very likely that your shrimp will go after baby RFAs.

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had about 30 rock nem babies, the size of a pinhead up to a dime.

We didn’t think and threw our peppermint shrimp in the nem tank because we had Nudibranchs coming for the big tank.

The peppermints had refused to touch an aiptasia, but within a week I noticed most of the tiniest rock nem babies were gone. I moved the remaining babies to a pico tank. We put the peppermints in a sump about three days ago when I noticed some adult nems were moving around that had never moved before. Last night one rock nem was dead and two others were looking pretty bad.

I can’t say for sure the peppermints did it, water parameters are normal, nothing else had changed in the tank. The 20+ adult rock nems were perfectly fine for over a year before this.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had about 30 rock nem babies, the size of a pinhead up to a dime.

We didn’t think and threw our peppermint shrimp in the nem tank because we had Nudibranchs coming for the big tank.

The peppermints had refused to touch an aiptasia, but within a week I noticed most of the tiniest rock nem babies were gone. I moved the remaining babies to a pico tank. We put the peppermints in a sump about three days ago when I noticed some adult nems were moving around that had never moved before. Last night one rock nem was dead and two others were looking pretty bad.

I can’t say for sure the peppermints did it, water parameters are normal, nothing else had changed in the tank. The 20+ adult rock nems were perfectly fine for over a year before this.
Okay. Good to know. I am going to move my peppermint out of the tank, just in case. Thank you for the info.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back