Baby Sexy Shrimp??

BenHyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the videos aren't the best, the shrimp are really small and very active so its hard to get the camera to focus. I've got tons of these little guys in my nano tank and the only think I can think they might be are baby sexy shrimp. I figured they would probably just die after a few days/weeks because I don't really have anything to feed them. It's been about a month now and they are still swimming around and continuing to grow. They definitely aren't copepods or amphipods and they don't have the same body structure/legs of brine shimp (something I only fed the tank once.) I've tried to find photos of baby sexy shrimp online to compare them to but haven't had much luck with ones this small. The only shrimp I have in the tank other than my sexy shrimp pair is a lone fire shrimp so unless it was berried when I got it I doubt that's what they are.

Please let me know if you have any ideas!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be mysid shrimp, which are harmless, uncommon hitchhikers. These may eat smaller copepods and each other and are consumed by larger organisms.

1664402994371.png

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following - that is too cool! Can you share your tank info like gallons, fish, etc.? How many sexy shrimp did you have that could have possibly hatched these? I would love to get like 6 of them for my 65 gallon and have a chance at spawning but wondering if they'll just get eaten.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following - that is too cool! Can you share your tank info like gallons, fish, etc.? How many sexy shrimp did you have that could have possibly hatched these? I would love to get like 6 of them for my 65 gallon and have a chance at spawning but wondering if they'll just get eaten.
Those are mysid shrimp in the original post, not baby sexy shrimp. Cleaner shrimp are hard to raise from babies, and will require special care to survive. Sadly, they don't work like guppies.

If you really want to breed shrimp, check out petshrimp.com and look into setting up an opae ula brackish water tank. Incredibly easy to keep (just provide light, top-off water, and feed once a month in a pico-sized tank), and they breed of their own accord, with no extra care required. Easier than guppies!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back