Baby Snails Keep Getting Into MP40 Wetside And Making Them Noisy

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting tired of taking out my MP40 wet sides to clean them every couple of days. Seems that I keep getting baby snails inside the units and then the pumps are noisy. Tried putting the foam guard on the wetside but baby snails got through them.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Thank you.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, absolutely but with 2 mp10s. I found that restarting the pump over and over with the power button will clear them out of the pump eventually.

My snail population has lowered and stabilized and now I almost never get them in the pumps now.

Fyi I have collonista snails

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...I removed the MP10. Probably not the optimal solution you're look for though. Just seemed like a lot of maintenance and worry to me. Seemed like every other day there's be a snail causing that clicking sound. Tried the sponges covers, no luck.

Then got a new blenny and it would jump in the there soon as I turned off pump for maintenance (knew that was going to be a disaster at some point). So bought that cover to stop all that. It worked for the blenny and all but smallest snail but holy moly, that thing was huge in my RSR170. Maybe if I had bigger tank.

The MP-10 is a powerful pump and a great idea (keep the cords out and use magnetic coupling) and has slick control features but after about 18 months I just swapped out for a Tunze 6045 with no covers required and haven't looked back.

Matter of fact just thinking about it now. I've never had a snail/fish cause me a problem with the Tunze design (I also have two DC controllable ones). Yup, got cords in my tank. Everything is a trade off I guess. Still haven't sold my MP-10. Such a pretty thing, wonder why they don't lose that little snail catcher lip.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you shut the pumps off for extended periods of time?

I've had my mp10's almost 9 years now and have never had that issue. Mine are never shut off either though, and I have plenty of baby snails(mostly baby trochus snails).

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you shut the pumps off for extended periods of time?

I've had my mp10's almost 9 years now and have never had that issue. Mine are never shut off either though, and I have plenty of baby snails(mostly baby trochus snails).
My MP40’s run 24/7.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumble Bee snails can eat other snails if not enough food. I have a dozen and I still have lots of those small dwarf ceriths (that's what always got stuck in my MP-10). I like them, seem to be self sustaining and always busy. Nice little CUC. If I'd known, I would've lived without them though. :)

Also some fish but haven't had any snail eaters.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail hunter? Enlighten me!
My melanarus wrasse has been known to go after small snails with much enthusiasm! Whether that would be enough to keep their numbers down is anyone's guess.

I run gyres and at any given time I've got at least a dozen snails of different varieties all over them. Apparently there's good eating to be had on powerheads!

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP 40 that I don't use for that reason and others. Most over-priced pump on the market IMO. My wav pumps are more reliable and controllable with Apex, never had a problem with these and have higher flow for less than half the price. Don't have to worry about wet sides coming off all the time and it's a little harder for fish to get inside. But hey, they don't look so sexy... lol

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP 40 that I don't use for that reason and others. Most over-priced pump on the market IMO. My wav pumps are more reliable and controllable with Apex, never had a problem with these and have higher flow for less than half the price. Don't have to worry about wet sides coming off all the time and it's a little harder for fish to get inside. But hey, they don't look so sexy... lol
Thinking about adding a WAV pump to my aquarium for more flow. How's the Apex integration?

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it plugs right into the energy bar, so you don't need to use outlets, you also get data via apex - it's actually a sicce pump - i just picked up a used one for $80, no brainer

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my nero 3s with dwarf ceriths, so I don't think its just isolated to mp10s. I always hear clicking sounds from the tank...

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are expensive. Especially since price hike. They are worth it though. Long lasting. Wireless control via Mobius. Awesome in tank look

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting tired of taking out my MP40 wet sides to clean them every couple of days. Seems that I keep getting baby snails inside the units and then the pumps are noisy. Tried putting the foam guard on the wetside but baby snails got through them.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Thank you.
saltwater aquarium has product that is made from plastic and it covers the wet side. It has smaller holes to prevent snail, fish whatever from getting in. I lost a royal gramma to a mp40...before i got these covers.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater aquarium has product that is made from plastic and it covers the wet side. It has smaller holes to prevent snail, fish whatever from getting in. I lost a royal gramma to a mp40...before i got these covers.
Are you talking about the NemProtect?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back