Baby tang in 29gal?

sim2142

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a tang small then selling it or upscaling your tank when it grows is pretty common. An LFS in my area would accept it but I guess it varies between stores.

It’s been over a year and I couldn’t tell you that I’ve seen mine grow even a centimetre, it is also in a 29 gallon.
B67F6096-EE8E-420B-BD7F-9F4CBB09F964.jpeg

OP
OP
E

emsilkina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a tang small then selling it or upscaling your tank when it grows is pretty common. An LFS in my area would accept it but I guess it varies between stores.

It’s been over a year and I couldn’t tell you that I’ve seen mine grow even a centimetre, it is also in a 29 gallon.
Do you think a blue tang can live in 29 gal?

sim2142

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a blue tang can live in 29 gal?
Im not sure about blue tang swimming requirements specifically but I’d assume for quite some time before it becomes too large and aggressive

By that time you might have decided to upgrade to a bigger tank aswell who knows.

Id just double check to see if their swimming requirement is also reduced by their size though, my tang isn’t a big swimmer like a blue.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old rumour , myth was fish grow to their surroundings but think about it .
a fish that should grow to well above 12” long trapped in a 20 or even a 65 gal
Their body growth will slow but what about internal organs ?

do that stop growing cause the fish can’t physically mature ?

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I put a very small blue tang with ich once in my 30 gal quarantine tank to medicate. I think it took twice as long as it should have to get rid of the ich, which I think was because the small tank.

Also Recently here in Texas I lost most of my fish in my large tank, but kept my 60 gal warm enough. The smaller blue tang lived but when i introduced a couple of clowns it became super aggressive which is not the norm, and I'd attribute that to the small tank size. Because of that I gave him to a friend with a 250 gal.

Point being, even small, it's not going to be a happy fish nor healthy in a tank that small. Especially a blue tang.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I would have said yes, and I’m guilty of doing it, but now I say don’t do it. The fish will become increasingly stressed as it grows and let’s be honest.... nobody looks forward to catching a fish out of their tank. So unless you plan on upgrading in a year I wouldn’t do it

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old rumour , myth was fish grow to their surroundings but think about it .
a fish that should grow to well above 12” long trapped in a 20 or even a 65 gal
Their body growth will slow but what about internal organs ?

do that stop growing cause the fish can’t physically mature ?
I’m under the assumption that the fish stops growing but their organs don’t. This is ultimately what will kill it in a small tank

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ever think the small tank might be stunting its growth I got a really small purple a year ago and it's pretty decent size now

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has kept a baby hippo tang in a 40B, it's possible, but not for very long. They grow surprisingly fast with proper care, despite what you may be told by any LFS employee. Mine went from 3/4" to almost 3" in ~6 months.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people upgrade tanks some don’t. Ask yourself this, will you be willing to spend almost $1000(very rough estimate) to upgrade for one possibly $100 fish?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back