Baby tang with big tangs?

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience adding a tiny tang (1 inch lieutenant) to a tank with bigger tangs already established? Biggest being a 7 inch Achilles.
I have a 420 gallon tank with 6 tangs and they bicker a little, which each of them can handle but this little guy is so tiny I’m wondering if they will recognize him as a tang and go after him or if he is so small they will ignore him like the other small fish.

He still has 5 weeks of quarantine to go but I am looking for any experience adding something so small.
Thanks!!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience adding a tiny tang (1 inch lieutenant) to a tank with bigger tangs already established? Biggest being a 7 inch Achilles.
I have a 420 gallon tank with 6 tangs and they bicker a little, which each of them can handle but this little guy is so tiny I’m wondering if they will recognize him as a tang and go after him or if he is so small they will ignore him like the other small fish.

He still has 5 weeks of quarantine to go but I am looking for any experience adding something so small.
Thanks!!

I've never done it. My gut feeling is the other tangs having established territory and pecking order may attack the smaller tang to death. Small or large in size, it's still a threat to them and easily killed, in this case because of size.

Very risky.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above it is risky but I think they will ignore it mostly.
I added a one inch convict a couple of months ago after fattening it up in observation for a couple of months to a scopas, yellow scopas and black naso, largest two are 3 - 4" fish, remember it will fit into lots of small gaps if chased, my cherub angel was worse than the tangs for the first hour or two.
Maybe try an acclimation box?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please post baby tang pics. I'm such a sucker for them!

clekchau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big tangs ignore most little fish including little tangs

OP
OP
LDH

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above it is risky but I think they will ignore it mostly.
I added a one inch convict a couple of months ago after fattening it up in observation for a couple of months to a scopas, yellow scopas and black naso, largest two are 3 - 4" fish, remember it will fit into lots of small gaps if chased, my cherub angel was worse than the tangs for the first hour or two.
Maybe try an acclimation box?
Good points and an acclimation box is a great idea. Thank you.

OP
OP
LDH

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done it. My gut feeling is the other tangs having established territory and pecking order may attack the smaller tang to death. Small or large in size, it's still a threat to them and easily killed, in this case because of size.

Very risky.

you are probably right. I will spend some extra time in qt with him letting him grow a bit. Thank you for your thoughts.

OP
OP
LDH

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post baby tang pics. I'm such a sucker for them!

EFBEE364-52D0-4F1E-8D6D-17BFC16D3BF8.jpeg

Back