Baby Tangs? - I'm full of bad ideas

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually on this topic of tang size. My YBRT has usually been a model citizen. Sure there's some minor chasing from time to time but nothing that ever lasts long. Last night it was chasing my female Blue Throat Trigger relentlessly. I have a 10x8 mirror I tape to the glass when I add a new fish. It redirects attention away from the new fish. I put it up last night and I'm hoping this settles out but if not I may have to look at rehoming it if this continues. If I don't have any takers I have the option of donating it to the Georgia Aquarium. I'm hoping this doesn't continue, if it does I'll have to do something soon.

In tank the size your keeping you will absolutely need to buy the tangs at the same time and qt them together then add them to the display at the same time as well. They also need to be the last fish you get. If you don't do that one of them will surely not make it long. Another key is keeping them well fed. This means nutrients can become an issue for the system. Most if not all aggression is food related. A well fed tang is usually a well behaved fish. This means daily nori feedings in multiple places in the tank with more than one tang, if you don't do that the dominant one will absolutely become an *****. Then stress goes up, ich breaks out and in worst cases wounds from tail slapping.

If you're dead set on doing this I highly recommend one and no more than two of smaller size. With three your just asking to only have two at some point.

U

User1

View Badges
This more than likely won't end well but to each their own. Powder blue and Atlantic are both large fish which more than likely will be bought in the 4" range. Both are semi aggressive and fast open water swimmers - compared to say a Kole tang or similar bristle tooth. What intrigues me the most on these sorts of threads is why do I keep responding and what do they hope to gain from it. There are people on these forums who have very large systems, say 400+ gallons, and took in say a vlamingi tang yet only to turn around and find another home because they felt their system wasn't large enough. Granted a larger fish pushing 2' when adulthood possibly but we are talking 400+ gallons and not enough room. Maybe they are a more mature or conscientious aquarist. I don't know but in either case best of luck.

Side note - Atlantic Blues are pretty. Hopefully you can score a juvenile and watch it color morph. They remind me of a good bottle of wine - gets better with age. Atlantic Blues are no different.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D79F5AEE-B6CC-43C7-AAD0-5433FF4902C8.jpeg
My dad was in the service but I don’t consider myself a haole. I was born at Tripler hospital so I like to think of myself as a local haha. I grew up in K Bay and went to Akahi. I was always collecting fish and bringing them home to my 10 gallon. Anyway here you go, not a great pic but it’s an iPad

Back