Baby turbo snail infestation?

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of turbo snails from live aquaria and they are pretty hefty in size, recently I thought the white dots on the wall was algae or something, but I looked closer and realized they are baby snail at least I think they are. Would these cause problems to my tank if I already have a huge clean up crew? Should I get them out of the tank? If I do get rid of them would It cause a ammonia spike?

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of turbo snails from live aquaria and they are pretty hefty in size, recently I thought the white dots on the wall was algae or something, but I looked closer and realized they are baby snail at least I think they are. Would these cause problems to my tank if I already have a huge clean up crew? Should I get them out of the tank? If I do get rid of them would It cause a ammonia spike?
image.jpg

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? My cerith snails breed all the time in my 90 gal. I just leave them and it sorts itself out based on my algae loading. It starts off with a hundred or so and then over time I usually end up with around 15 -20 as far as a can count. I've never noticed any ammonia spike from the die off. They are small and they tend to die individually so there isn't a mass die off.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? My cerith snails breed all the time in my 90 gal. I just leave them and it sorts itself out based on my algae loading. It starts off with a hundred or so and then over time I usually end up with around 15 -20 as far as a can count. I've never noticed any ammonia spike from the die off. They are small and they tend to die individually so there isn't a mass die off.
29 gallons, I got some big boy turbo snails full sized and I noticed them mating but didn’t inspect a blizzard of them! would clowns eat the baby snail?

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, would they cause coral to close up while they crawl on them?

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, would they cause coral to close up while they crawl on them?
In my experience it depends on how big they are and the specific coral. Turbos can be big guys and tend to be a little bulldozer-y so if they have a straight path where they want to go they'll take it regardless of what is in the way. When they are big I've seen some of my smaller corals like zoanthids close up if they get run over they can stay closed for a few hours to a day or so. They tend to stay away from the bogger polyp corals like LPS. The SPS tend to retract locally where the snail is gong but then come back out once its gone shortly. I've never sucessfully kept acros though so I'm not the one to give you any info on those. When they are still tiny like your picture I've never noticed any long term closing of corals for any significant length of time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back