Baby yellow tang fin issue

bec1750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Two weeks ago we got a pair of baby yellow tangs from biota. When we first got them one of them Clyde had a small piece missing from his top fin. It seemed to be getting better and then just this morning I noticed his fin is now missing a chunk out of it. Bonnie and Clyde have been in the tank alone until 2 days ago when we added our pair of clowns. There has been no visible aggression at all between the clowns and the tangs. In fact Clyde tends to hang with the clowns. He’s eating and swimming normally and is very active. He’s actually picking away at some rocks as I type. I’m going to include some pics of Clyde so you can see the fin issue. Sorry in advance for the bad pics. My phone doesn’t take good pics with the blue on the tank. I’m thinking he just hit himself on the rock work but I dunno. Bonnie and Clyde are our babies! My boyfriend is extremely worried and thinks it’s something more but we don’t know. Does anyone have any thoughts, diagnosis, advice, anything at all? Any and all I put is appreciated!!
Ps parameters are good and it’s a 130 gallon. 545443F9-E8AC-43A3-B4E1-025A1A53C530.jpeg F310486D-087C-4647-A10C-E36FFC69D384.jpeg D8C87C91-B399-4D22-9E70-4A5CCCAC27A5.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8344.MOV
    20.9 MB
  • IMG_8343.MOV
    1.7 MB

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming the tank is cycled and there is no ammonia stressing the fish. Due to only having fish it has to be aggression from one of the fish , fish behave differently when they think you are not watching the tank

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to fix the aggression- what works in my experience is overfeeding , due to ye rocks being white and new there’s little for the tangs to graze , I would leave a nori clip out daily , maybe a half sheet on each side of tank to curve aggression fat fish don’t fight lol

OP
OP
bec1750

bec1750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do have clips on both sides of the tank with nori on them at all times. I am also feeding them 3 times daily. Yes the tank is cycled and there is no ammonia present. The rock isn’t all white. It the dang camera on my phone. We are in the ugly stage and he picks away all day at the rocks. He was also picking away at some of the coral plugs that had algae growing in them. He picked them clean :) Short of what we are doing already since it is what you’re saying we should do do you have any other recommendations?
I appreciate your feedback! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 30

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do have clips on both sides of the tank with nori on them at all times. I am also feeding them 3 times daily. Yes the tank is cycled and there is no ammonia present. The rock isn’t all white. It the dang camera on my phone. We are in the ugly stage and he picks away all day at the rocks. He was also picking away at some of the coral plugs that had algae growing in them. He picked them clean :) Short of what we are doing already since it is what you’re saying we should do do you have any other recommendations?
I appreciate your feedback! :)
No problem , could also be you happend to get a mean fish , another way to help aggression is the mirror trick / getting more fish - in fresh water cichilid tanks need to be overstocked so no one fish can get bullied

OP
OP
bec1750

bec1750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem , could also be you happend to get a mean fish , another way to help aggression is the mirror trick / getting more fish - in fresh water cichilid tanks need to be overstocked so no one fish can get bullied
Thank you! Okay great! We will try the mirror trick thank you for that! :). As far as getting more fish we have two chromis that are in our 32 gallon that we plan on transferring over. We were planning on doing that sometime next week because we wanted to avoid throwing a ton of fish in at one time or what we believe to be a ton of fish lol and then send the bio load up which would effect the parameters. Is our thinking wrong with that?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Okay great! We will try the mirror trick thank you for that! :). As far as getting more fish we have two chromis that are in our 32 gallon that we plan on transferring over. We were planning on doing that sometime next week because we wanted to avoid throwing a ton of fish in at one time or what we believe to be a ton of fish lol and then send the bio load up which would effect the parameters. Is our thinking wrong with that?
I think if your worries about the bio load , fitz turbo start 900 would have you covered and I prefer all fish at one time. It is a new space for everyone and no one has claim meaning there will not be aggression if all added at once. If you periodically add fish all the fish will inspect the new fish and could lead to fighting they need to establish the pecking order. Kinda like how in school if a person joined the class later in the year it would be harder for them to get along / feel left out compared to the other students

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that tangs have to be kept in odd numbers. 1,3,5 otherwise it's destined for aggression issues.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back