Baby yellow tang in 10 gallon temporary tank?

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only LFS that sells saltwater fish that's not an hour+ away has a baby yellow tang, about the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger, which they NEVER have. My question is would that little fella be okay living in my current 10 gallon tank with my clownfish and cleaner shrimp for the time being? I'm currently in the middle of setting up a 65 gallon so in 4-5 months, 6 tops, everything will be going in there. I fully expect to catch some heat on this one so let me have it!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean.. 4-6 months is kind of awhile and 10 gallons for a tang is beyond tiny

then in 4-6 months you're putting it in a tank that is also too small, albeit a lot better than a 10 gallon

the tang probably won't die or something, but that's like beyond iffy. there are a lot of alternative yellow fish, why not get those?

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Ron Swanson is correct, 10G is harsh for any fish in my opinion, be like a person in a moving box.

I've learnt in life and particularly reefing, when something appears to be rare/random/unlikely to happen again (such as your LFS having the fish) the next day something or better comes along. I just passed on a giant magnifica anemone, killed me to restrain but in reefing you have to be ready first, slow and steady, then livestock

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tiny and yellow tang don't grow all that quick which is why I think it'll be okay. My LFS sucks with their stocking, and they can't order anything I'm interested in for whatever reason. However, they do take drop offs, which is where this tang is from. From what I know the guy who turned it in did so because the eel he got at the same time (that was apparently rather small itself) far outgrew the tang and could eat it whole now. Apparently he got them months ago and the tang has hardly grown, which leaves me to believe it's naturally just a smaller fish. For the record the guy who turned it in has a rather large tank, I wanna say it was 100 gallons or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has grown from tiny to almost full size in the last 6 months. Just saying that i've learnt its best to build the tank first, then get the fish not the otherway around - just creates undue stress and deadlines, you don't know what obstacles tmrw might throw at you. You can always buy a tiny YT anytime using an online vendor

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has grown from tiny to almost full size in the last 6 months. Just saying that i've learnt its best to build the tank first, then get the fish not the otherway around - just creates undue stress and deadlines, you don't know what obstacles tmrw might throw at you. You can always buy a tiny YT anytime using an online vendor
The only reason I'm considering it is because this fish is 3-4 months old and still the size of a gold dollar, I really feel like it's just a small fish. I mean, if it turns out I'm wrong or it hits a serious growth spurt I can always take it back to the store and be out $20. But if I'm right I got one of the fish I upgraded my tank for in the first place, and at a killer price. That, to me, seems like a risk worth taking .

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like you're looking for someone to tell you it's ok and i don't think you'll find it

but you're gonna do it anyway

where on earth do you live where they don't get yellow tangs easily? idk if i've ever been in a lfs that didn't have some yellow tangs somewhere in the shop. heck they're even captive bred now

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like you're looking for someone to tell you it's ok and i don't think you'll find it

where on earth do you live where they don't get yellow tangs easily? idk if i've ever been in a lfs that didn't have some yellow tangs somewhere in the shop. heck they're even captive bred now
I think its just excuses so he can satiate his urge since hes impatient

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to weigh my options. I don't wanna jump the gun and make this fishs life miserable for 6 months, but I also don't want to drive two hours to get the same fish at 4x the cost lol

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I live in the middle of nowhere, nothing but hills for miles on miles lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering online is an option, paying shipping and risking shipping sucks but I have learned that if you wait a few and lump 2-5 creatures you want than paying $40-$60 in shipping doesn’t hurt as bad. Or take a drive every once and awhile. Everyone has said it over and over again patience is key in the saltwater game.

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still imagine you can get a YT online anytime. You want to put a YT into a glass of water to save a buck - not cool and wrong hobby to be in thinking that way.
Not a big fan of buying fish online, I haven't had much luck with that at all. The size of the fish is what determines the tank size it needs, yeah? Especially if its captive bred like you said before, so it doesn't know or need what a wild caught one does. So whats the difference between a captive bred fish that's less than two inches and a different captive bred fish that's slightly over two inches, say a damsel or chromis with multiple in the same tank? realistically, there isn't a difference, and there's no possible way to say any one fish is gonna grow at a certain rate or be a certain size full grown because it's common for other fish of the same species to. It's a crap shoot on each individual fish, which brings us to that factor. Every single fish has different requirements, preferences, and personality traits, again, with no possible way to predetermining what those are. Sure there are some necessities for different fish species, but even then those can be very altered and still work out just fine. I'm not trying to argue or be a dick, I'm just saying there are endless possibilities and not just one true way to run an aquarium.

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy the fish man. Or don’t, you asked for opinions and you got them.
I did and I appreciate all the advice. I'm gonna wait a little while and see if anybody scoops him up, if they don't I'll grab him myself. Better it sits in a 10 gallon very well taken care of tank than a 10 gallon poorly taken care of tank that's overstocked without him.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back