Baby yellow tang in 10 gallon temporary tank?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of buying fish online, I haven't had much luck with that at all. The size of the fish is what determines the tank size it needs, yeah? Especially if its captive bred like you said before, so it doesn't know or need what a wild caught one does. So whats the difference between a captive bred fish that's less than two inches and a different captive bred fish that's slightly over two inches, say a damsel or chromis with multiple in the same tank? realistically, there isn't a difference, and there's no possible way to say any one fish is gonna grow at a certain rate or be a certain size full grown because it's common for other fish of the same species to. It's a crap shoot on each individual fish, which brings us to that factor. Every single fish has different requirements, preferences, and personality traits, again, with no possible way to predetermining what those are. Sure there are some necessities for different fish species, but even then those can be very altered and still work out just fine. I'm not trying to argue or be a dick, I'm just saying there are endless possibilities and not just one true way to run an aquarium.

The size of the fish is not the only factor that determines the tank it needs. Fin shape also tells you if they are an open water swimmer. Yellow tangs are herbivores and graze regularly, you cannot provide that in a 10 gallon tank. You cannot provide that in a 65 gallon tank. The size they can reach is very important. I have seen a 29 gallon bio cube significantly deteriorate a yellow tang. What you are doing is a poor choice and you probably guessed from the responses. That doesn't mean you can't do it. If the $20 price tag is your motivating factor and not the welfare of the animals, then this hobby is going to be very tough on you. This forum will probably be no different.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the middle of nowhere, nothing but hills for miles on miles lol

Fan or not. Sounds like your only option is Order online.

The size of the fish is what determines the tank size it needs, yeah? Especially if its captive bred like you said before, so it doesn't know or need what a wild caught one does.

0_o

Last edited by a moderator:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did and I appreciate all the advice. I'm gonna wait a little while and see if anybody scoops him up, if they don't I'll grab him myself. Better it sits in a 10 gallon very well taken care of tank than a 10 gallon poorly taken care of tank that's overstocked without him.

or option 3... someone with a proper sized tank buys it

you're really reaching here to justify what you've seemingly already decided to do

i get it, i have a 50 gallon cube so i can't get a bunch of fish because my tank is too small. it's a bummer, i'd love a magnificent foxface for example, but my wants don't outweigh the animals needs. it'd be one thing if you had a slightly smaller than ideal tank, but you're talking about a half a year in a ten gallon tank. and then your upgrade tank isn't even big enough

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be nasty here but what you are or intend on doing is animal cruelty, you wouldn't treat a dog or a cat or a rabbit or a hamster or anything with fur or feathers on it cruelly, you would be in uproar about it, so why do you think its ok to treat a fish that way? im sorry but your very first concern should be the welfare of the fish, if its not then go get a knitting hobby, I see it all to often nowadays, people buying fish which are not suitable for their set up and it drives me crazy.
THE WELFARE OF THE FISH MUST COME BEFORE ANYTHING.
Rant over.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to weigh my options. I don't wanna jump the gun and make this fishs life miserable for 6 months, but I also don't want to drive two hours to get the same fish at 4x the cost lol

Why can't you pay for it and have the LFS hold it until you're ready to move it into the tank you are preparing?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! A yellow tank will triple in size in 3-4 months. Even a 65 is to small and cruel. My yellow tangs doubled in size just in my QT tank in a months time.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe we could help find you a tank suitable for the little Tang? I think your heart is in the right place. That's a start! Where do you live? You'd be surprised how many people here will help to insure the little guy has a proper tank.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g tank is way too small for a tang of any sort. Unless you are using a 10g tank for a couple weeks as a hospital tank. Personally, I still wouldn't put one in a 10g for that purpose. I use minimum 40b-55g to treat tangs. They are very active fish and need much more space than a 10g can provide.

Yellow tangs are some of the most widely available fish in the hobby and I'd recommend waiting until you have a tank of proper size before even considering a purchase.

I would also highly recommend you research them on proper care. They have a very high metabolism, require algae to graze on throughout the day as well as high quality frozen foods 1-2 feedings a day in order to keep them fat and sassy. With the current state of the distribution system I would also recommend QT for them as they do not have much resistance to parasites.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chief Tang says no way it’s cruel.
834108B5-4EED-4636-830E-936F47CD8199.jpeg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has grown from tiny to almost full size in the last 6 months. Just saying that i've learnt its best to build the tank first, then get the fish not the otherway around - just creates undue stress and deadlines, you don't know what obstacles tmrw might throw at you. You can always buy a tiny YT anytime using an online vendor

^this

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we could help find you a tank suitable for the little Tang? I think your heart is in the right place. That's a start! Where do you live? You'd be surprised how many people here will help to insure the little guy has a proper tank.

If you think the right place for your heart is in your wallet, then yes it is! Lol

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope @Matt27 you are still reading this thread. People in this hobby tend to be very passionate, and sometimes that can come off as angry. What you will find with reefers is people will spend hundreds of dollars and a significant amount of time to treat a sick clownfish that cost $15. For what they spend on treatment and medications they could have purchased 10 additional clowns. I have probably spent 2x the monetary value of my fish in QT tanks, QT foods, QT equipment, and medications. None of this touches my display tank and is purely designed to make sure my fish are happy and healthy. Many of us take the livestock we care for very seriously. At the end I want to see everyone have very successful tanks with very well cared for livestock.

On a side note, usually in threads like this there are odd balls that give terrible advice, "I have kept a tang in a goldfish bowl for years" type stuff. Happy to see that is becoming less and less frequent.

Derek siskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I'm considering it is because this fish is 3-4 months old and still the size of a gold dollar, I really feel like it's just a small fish. I mean, if it turns out I'm wrong or it hits a serious growth spurt I can always take it back to the store and be out $20. But if I'm right I got one of the fish I upgraded my tank for in the first place, and at a killer price. That, to me, seems like a risk worth taking .
Are you really sure it’s a yellow tang for only being $20, that just seems very cheap for a yt

OP
OP
Matt27

Matt27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the fish is not the only factor that determines the tank it needs. Fin shape also tells you if they are an open water swimmer. Yellow tangs are herbivores and graze regularly, you cannot provide that in a 10 gallon tank. You cannot provide that in a 65 gallon tank. The size they can reach is very important. I have seen a 29 gallon bio cube significantly deteriorate a yellow tang. What you are doing is a poor choice and you probably guessed from the responses. That doesn't mean you can't do it. If the $20 price tag is your motivating factor and not the welfare of the animals, then this hobby is going to be very tough on you. This forum will probably be no different.
Unless you're putting the fish in a 10,000+ gallon tank you wont even come remotely close to mimicking open water. therefor, the size of the fish is the most relevant factor to the tank size. Providing plentiful grazing opportunity is 100% attainable in a 65 gallon with an appropriate amount of live rock. And I'm not talking about tangs in particular here.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a donated fish, that's why it's so cheap. Also the fish is tiny.
Do you know any friends or if the fish store can hold it for you? I mean 10g is like a QT for it and the most it should be in there is for like 76 days?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back