BACK AFTER A 30 YEAR HIATUS

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I just wanted to introduce myself to the group right now.
I live in Beaver County, PA. 25 miles NW of Pittsburgh.
I'm setting up our marine tank over the long Thanksgiving weekend. Our last saltwater tank was in the early 1990's. Yes, in other words, "the dark age" of home marine tanks. I don't even remember shops selling ANY coral back then. We had a 75 gallon tank, archaic lighting, dolomite gravel bed, sea plundered dead corals and no one was raising tank bred anything. Instant Ocean had just started attempting to tank breed clowns. After a few years, loads of cash and many losses.... well you get picture.
FLASH FORWARD
We purchased a Coralife 29/32 system and stand. Instant Ocean Reef,, Caribsea live sand, 40 lbs of dry, live rocks (though how it can be dry AND live mystifies me), a heater, refractometer, wavemaker, test kit etc etc. I'll pick up the RODI water Weds or Fri. I want some other things like a protein skimmer, but my husband is already suffering from sticker shock
I'm not worrying about the fish or soft corals yet, but have some idea.
I'll take photos as I go along.

Baby steps ‍♀️
Faith H.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome Faith, my name is Chayse and I’m one of the board members of the club. I imagine our next meeting will probably be our Mega raffle meeting. Here is our Club Website for more info about us!

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! You’ll find all your questions hopefully answered here! We have some pretty active members here on the forum to help!

As for sticker shock… my wife still has that and I’ve only lived in the house with the tanks for the past 3 years ha

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Faith, my name is Chayse and I’m one of the board members of the club. I imagine our next meeting will probably be our Mega raffle meeting. Here is our Club Website for more info about us!

Thank you!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Does your bio cube have stock lighting or did you upgrade it? I don't know about the live and dry rock at the same time. Some man made rock manufacturers say they put dry bacteria in it. IF you want to stop by the store ie. The Reef Gallery I'll give you some starter bacteria.

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Does your bio cube have stock lighting or did you upgrade it? I don't know about the live and dry rock at the same time. Some man made rock manufacturers say they put dry bacteria in it. IF you want to stop by the store ie. The Reef Gallery I'll give you some starter bacteria.
Thank you so much. I just found your website yesterday. I'm so excited to have a reef store near me. When Rick Glitsch owned Aquatic Gardens we used to go to him. Unfortunately, I have everything but the tank . Looks like Good old FedEx Ground may have destroyed it.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Faith,
I feel your pain on sticker shock.
Back in the day, when I started my salt tanks (1970s),
there was no live rock @ $9 a pound. We used dolomite, with undergravel filters, and GE plant light flo tubes...cheap. My current light for my 32 fijiCube, a monstrous $380.
The only thing that resembles 1970 prices is the fish themselves. Clowns at 15, firefish at 18, damsels at 5 to 10. I had one coral in '73. It lasted maybe 10 or 11 months.
If I remember right, someone did spawn and raise perculas in the early 70s. At the time, I lived in NE Ohio and Instant Ocean was a cupl miles away!
Anyway, welcome back to the hobby. Have a great Holiday.
Fred

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back