OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately have a bad update. My tank is no longer level and it appears to be dipping in the front left corner by roughly 1/4”. After some more investigation i discovered that the stand is warping on that corner for some reason. SCA Aquariums immediately sent out a replacement and i will be swapping it over when it arrives. Luckily i used unions on the plumbing so it won’t be too much of a PITA to move.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately have a bad update. My tank is no longer level and it appears to be dipping in the front left corner by roughly 1/4”. After some more investigation i discovered that the stand is warping on that corner for some reason. SCA Aquariums immediately sent out a replacement and i will be swapping it over when it arrives. Luckily i used unions on the plumbing so it won’t be too much of a PITA to move.

Ugh. that is crappy. Nice to get a new stand, but still a big job. Luckily it is early in the tank's life.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shimmed the entire stand so it is level for now.

I dont think it will be too bad since I have no livestock to worry about.
  • Drain water into buckets
  • disconnect plumbing (thank you unions!)
  • clear out stand
  • move tank
  • reassemble
  • add water

It might extend my cycle by a little bit but that is better than having the tank break and flood my condo :)

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blessing in disguise is that this will now give me an entire stand worth of scrap wood to make a matching electrical cabinet so I can move it all out of my stand!

:D

Miles Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I liked it more before the second batch went in, honestly, but I am a minimalist. I would say do not feel you have to use it all. I like to stay around 2/3 the height to the waterline too, to allow for growth. That said, if you prefer the look of a rock wall, I would try to vary the heights along the top a bit.
Was thinking same exact thing about the rock

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Good luck with the stand swap. SCA started offering the solid wood stands just after I decided to build my own. I was torn between the 90 cube and 90 long. I opted to go long.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report other than the cycle is moving along rug swimmingly! (See what i did there?)

Ammonia: <.2
Nitrite: 1
Nitrates: 50ppm

Still waiting on my new stand to arrive, which is when I’ll do my first water change and shortly after introduce a small CUC.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new stand is en route and i have New test results!

With Red Sea Marine care test kit.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:1
Nitrate: 50

I will be doing a water change, start using my skimmer, and then add ammonia back up to 2ppm and see what happens. Small amounts of brown algae have also started to grow.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand should be here early next week!!

Not much of an update but i plumbed my ro/di under my sink!

97C94F8E-ED9C-43D1-857F-47930C411968.jpeg
DBE166D9-096D-4414-ADD3-C507C2D9B5CE.jpeg

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank went from 1.5ppm of ammonia to 0 overnight, as well as had a passive explosion of pods.

Good signs all around. Water change happening this week and my new stand gets into the area tomorrow morning, hopefully I’ll have it in the next few days.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank went from 1.5ppm of ammonia to 0 overnight, as well as had a passive explosion of pods.

Good signs all around. Water change happening this week and my new stand gets into the area tomorrow morning, hopefully I’ll have it in the next few days.

Very nice. Should be a productive week.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank twins! Even have the same stand. I went with a Trigger sapphire cube sump tho.

One piece of advice. Level the stand 3 or 4 times, then level it again. Get a bunch of door shims from your local hardware store or Lowe's or Home Depot. Also get 1/4"/6mm yoga mat to put between the tank and the stand. That black foam pad they send is garbage.

I had that exact stand fail about a week in and crack the bottom of my tank, leaking 40 something gallons of salt water onto my hardwood floors over night. I woke up to a 1/4 filled tank that was running the night before.

SCA made good on it and I have a brand new tank and stand that's been running 5-6 months now. I did have to rent a dancer and completely resurface my floor tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank twins! Even have the same stand. I went with a Trigger sapphire cube sump tho.

One piece of advice. Level the stand 3 or 4 times, then level it again. Get a bunch of door shims from your local hardware store or Lowe's or Home Depot. Also get 1/4"/6mm yoga mat to put between the tank and the stand. That black foam pad they send is garbage.

I had that exact stand fail about a week in and crack the bottom of my tank, leaking 40 something gallons of salt water onto my hardwood floors over night. I woke up to a 1/4 filled tank that was running the night before.

SCA made good on it and I have a brand new tank and stand that's been running 5-6 months now. I did have to rent a dancer and completely resurface my floor tho.

That is exactly what I am trying to avoid haha. I currently have the stand shimmed, and the tank is perfectly level. I got a thicker mat to put between the tank and stand, and hopefully, that will be of more help if the stand is still not level.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I am trying to avoid haha. I currently have the stand shimmed, and the tank is perfectly level. I got a thicker mat to put between the tank and stand, and hopefully, that will be of more help if the stand is still not level.

Good. I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I just wanted to warn you.

Tagging along, for twinning purposes.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking stand. I hope the swap went smoothly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back