OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This guy stung me so bad this morning must be getting healthy :,) he’s got to be about 14inches fully inflated maybe more

image.jpg

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a video where the nems bleached during holding after collection. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Bleaching really isn't a problem as long as the anemone is healthy, or recovers from shipping ailments. I just takes a few months for them to color up.

I had shared this video before from Indonesia. They were propagating manually by splitting ritteri and then putting back into the ocean to bring the numbers back up. But if you look at the workshop, I don't doubt that many collector sites have similar setups. One or two weeks in the collector facility like this and then shipping to the distributor could bleach them.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine the bleaching is from the collection and holding facility. From what I’ve heard they leave mags in buckets to get them to release off the rocks. If the buckets are left in the sun or allowed to heat up and/or the export facility does the same I can easily see how the mags bleach from that experience. Even if they’re bagged and then not immediately boxed in an insulated container that keeps the temperature cool that could cause it. There’s a hundred ways to bleach an anemone in the collection and shipping process, I would not be surprised that in Sri Lanka they just don’t have the best techniques or the reduced flight availability is causing excessive wait times in transit.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had shared this video before from Indonesia. They were propagating manually by splitting ritteri and then putting back into the ocean to bring the numbers back up. But if you look at the workshop, I don't doubt that many collector sites have similar setups. One or two weeks in the collector facility like this and then shipping to the distributor could bleach them.

Thanks for sharing this video! So cool

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like that they say that the anemones “changed color” after time in the holding tanks. Uh, no, they bleached. Honestly I’m a little surprised the cut up anemones recovered and actually grew to full sized adults. It didn’t seem like there was much light at all for them to photosynthesize.... I’m very curious how those anemones thrived despite the complete lack of zoox. This may be a perfect example while mags from Sri Lanka come in bleached.

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

well that explains it! That’s why I’m trying so hard to produce some USA cultured nems!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice how they waited for the anemones to bleach before cutting them? I wonder if they found that bleached anemones recover quicker or have a better success rate.

@Nemguy123 would you ever cut one of your bleached magnifica? I'm not encouraging it, just curious to know if you have considered it. Not knowing if it's a morph that splits on its own would be a big factor for me.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from BTAs and LTAs, magnifica are just as easy (or hard depending on how you define it) to get as the other host anemones. I wouldn't consider magnifica rare in the trade, or endangered or threatened in the wild. In the video, it looks like they're attempting to re-populate local areas that have damaged reefs. I would've loved to see the anemones actually returned back to the wild -- such as a clip of the bleached nems being carried down back into the reef -- instead of just showing what appears to be footage of other healthy colonies of magnifica. Those anemones may have entered the trade as far as we know.

Speaking of colonies, unlike carpets (haddoni, gigantea and mertensii) which are typically found alone in the wild, when one magnifica is found, it is typically with many others. I'm guessing that this is why we see mags arrive at multiple LFS at the same time because collectors export a lot at one time.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from BTAs and LTAs, magnifica are just as easy (or hard depending on how you define it) to get as the other host anemones. I wouldn't consider magnifica rare in the trade, or endangered or threatened in the wild. In the video, it looks like they're attempting to re-populate local areas that have damaged reefs. I would've loved to see the anemones actually returned back to the wild -- such as a clip of the bleached nems being carried down back into the reef -- instead of just showing what appears to be footage of other healthy colonies of magnifica. Those anemones may have entered the trade as far as we know.

Speaking of colonies, unlike carpets (haddoni, gigantea and mertensii) which are typically found alone in the wild, when one magnifica is found, it is typically with many others. I'm guessing that this is why we see mags arrive at multiple LFS at the same time because collectors export a lot at one time.
I kinda wondered the same thing. How do we know these aren't just collectors farming out mags to export? I've received a mag before that had clearly been cut before shipped to the states. Took nearly half a year for the mouth to return to the center.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for u guys, after Cipro 10d and anemone looks good, do you put directly in display tank?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for u guys, after Cipro 10d and anemone looks good, do you put directly in display tank?
I typically leave it in the QT for at least another week just to observe. I don't do daily water changes, but instead just change as needed.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll put it in a basket in a frag tank, so if it does start to decline in health I can easily remove it. Peeling an anemone off a rock once it is anchored down can be difficult.

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Wow 10 days never gone that long with great success I find 7 days maximum and water changes do a great job and then I QT for at least 2 weeks before I put with other nems

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Did you notice how they waited for the anemones to bleach before cutting them? I wonder if they found that bleached anemones recover quicker or have a better success rate.

@Nemguy123 would you ever cut one of your bleached magnifica? I'm not encouraging it, just curious to know if you have considered it. Not knowing if it's a morph that splits on its own would be a big factor for me.
I have considered it I have one right now that looks like it’s almost in half when it came in from shipment it’s taking the longest out of the 3 to heal up. After seeing this anemone come back from even smelling like a dead anemone I think it’s possible to just cleanly slice one in half and let it heal up under perfect conditions and treatment just might make it

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I find running a uV sterilizer on treatment tank during the day helps keep bacteria load down when you have wounded nems

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back