Lost in the Wrasses! Rollercoaster of a Reef Build

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think you need to change my mind. Yk I love your Magnificent. And that’s one of my dream fish. But I went to TSA the other day and I saw a gorgeous Foxface Lol I want that Magnificent but that yellow on the Lo is just $$$$$. So idk now which one I want I was so set on the Magnificent but every time I see that Lo! So to everyone which one do you think is best and should be my next move. @i cant think…..don’t try to change their minds too much :squinting-face-with-tongue:
I have both.... All I can say is that apparently some people have had aggressive Magnificent's which is weird for foxes. I love both of mine so I think its purely up to what colors you prefer.

IMG_2344.jpeg IMG_2241.jpeg IMG_2245.jpeg

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both.... All I can say is that apparently some people have had aggressive Magnificent's which is weird for foxes. I love both of mine so I think its purely up to what colors you prefer.
I love both I love both their colors yet I know I can’t have both. The Mag has much more colors but the markings on the Lo seem to be beating the Mag. But idk I’ve just been so set on the Mags. But another thing that’s had the Lo winning me over is that I can tell a less stressed fish easier with a Lo rather than a Mag. And if it is stressed the Lo doesn’t loose as much color as the Mag does. Well not counting the night/sleeping colors at least.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think you need to change my mind. Yk I love your Magnificent. And that’s one of my dream fish. But I went to TSA the other day and I saw a gorgeous Foxface Lol I want that Magnificent but that yellow on the Lo is just $$$$$. So idk now which one I want I was so set on the Magnificent but every time I see that Lo! So to everyone which one do you think is best and should be my next move. @i cant think…..don’t try to change their minds too much :squinting-face-with-tongue:
1670119982263.png

1670120101439.png
The Lo is nice but you just have to appreciate the colour change these guys are known for. It’s much more visible on the magnificent as they go from almost totally white to just a completely different colour set. And actually this is how you know when any foxface is stressed, they change colours however their stress pattern seems to be different to their regular sleeping patterns. My magnificent also darkens up depending on how defrosted the food is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Lo’s change colour as much as the magnificents do

The other thing is, IMHO the yellow is rather basic as most rabbits feature the yellow colour in mass whilst the only rabbit that feature white in mass that I can think of is the foxface. The yellow in the magnificent still becomes really obvious but I’ve seen my mag show slightly more yellow but also witnessed a slightly more orange colouring.
And last but not least, just look at that face, it matches the rest of the body with the white and looks like a true mask.
A4CA2EC2-2374-46F9-8037-897C4FA96B2D.jpeg

And here’s a front photo of my fox in camo (It’s currently 4:33am for me… I hate dogs sometimes).
A65564B7-2F96-4B7E-BA21-956BF6BA29E3.jpeg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2344.jpeg IMG_2241.jpeg IMG_2245.jpeg
What do you feed that magnificent?
I need to fatten mine up but I can only feed once a day with frozen/prepared foods.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, my YWG is a poser, I tried to get a photo of him all the way out and side on in the open but the Iridis said no and scared him.
Nah that picture is perfect.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lo is nice but you just have to appreciate the colour change these guys are known for. It’s much more visible on the magnificent as they go from almost totally white to just a completely different colour set. And actually this is how you know when any foxface is stressed, they change colours however their stress pattern seems to be different to their regular sleeping patterns. My magnificent also darkens up depending on how defrosted the food is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Lo’s change colour as much as the magnificents do

The other thing is, IMHO the yellow is rather basic as most rabbits feature the yellow colour in mass whilst the only rabbit that feature white in mass that I can think of is the foxface. The yellow in the magnificent still becomes really obvious but I’ve seen my mag show slightly more yellow but also witnessed a slightly more orange colouring.
And last but not least, just look at that face, it matches the rest of the body with the white and looks like a true mask.

And here’s a front photo of my fox in camo (It’s currently 4:33am for me… I hate dogs sometimes).
Your convincing me lol.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even though the color yellow is quite common, it’s still stunning. Don't get me wrong I agree with you the Mag has the most colors and when it’s all happy it looks stunning! The masked face is much more of a smooth transition to the rest of the body colors compared to the Lo but the Lo has that contrast! Then again the Mag is the most colorful Foxface. But yellow is yellow and that certainly is a color that catches your eye one that you see immediately even if you only glance at the tank.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s currently 4:33am for me… I hate dogs sometimes).
Really? I would think since you’re in the UK it be morning by now…..well at least later in the morning. And for Pete’s sake why is there a dog yappin at 4:30 in the morning!

plack44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. My name is Ethan. This will be my restart/continuum of my older build thread. The tank is a RedSea Reefer 350. I‘ll be going step by step here, tracking and sharing my progress with you guys. I hope you all can follow along the journey with me and without any more talking by my part…enjoy!

So if you guys checked out my older thread, and if you weren’t able to, I was planning on having a SPS dominated tank. It’s been a few months, and yea things have changed. After I came back from vacation, I was received with a tank that wasn’t in it’s best shape, and after constant water changes and testing and additives I just decided to start over. Starting with the rock scape, before I had what were sort of pillars with a cove in the middle, but even though I said I was happy with it…yea I wasn’t. I’ve had a battle with my rocks since the day I bought them, and I do believe that after all these try’s i’ve FINALLY got it. I’m not changing it anymore, and besides the fact this the scape I’ve enjoyed the longest, I gave up and realized I wouldn’t really see the rocks anyways after the coral grows. Then I went ahead and added the sand, I still need to add more, but I have sand in there. I then re-added the fish, and here’s what the tank has turned out too look like:
1664390951102.png

Yup very little sand lol. Since that picture I’ve added another bag, through a process of rinsing out the sand and adding little cups of sand one at a time to prevent major cloudiness. That’s the process I’m planning on using for when I add the rest of the sand. If anyone has any tips on what I can do when I add more sand feel free to tell me. When I add the rest of the sand I’m planning on having a consistent 3” sand bed, with “deeper” sand bed throughout the tank, with 4” to 6” being my goal. I‘ll be posting shortly regarding my tank, and what I plan to add to it, from supplies to fish to coral and everything else. Thank you for everyone who took the time to read this post and hoping that you all can follow along for the rest of the build, and enjoy the journey!
So if you get a long clear tube longer than the height of your tank. Put it in the tank at an angle one end at or slightly below sand level the other above the water level.
Now with a funnel at the end above water level ( or however) slide the sand down the tube until it is inside the tank and it won’t cloud the water column above it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the color yellow is quite common, it’s still stunning. Don't get me wrong I agree with you the Mag has the most colors and when it’s all happy it looks stunning! The masked face is much more of a smooth transition to the rest of the body colors compared to the Lo but the Lo has that contrast! Then again the Mag is the most colorful Foxface. But yellow is yellow and that certainly is a color that catches your eye one that you see immediately even if you only glance at the tank.
I honestly use other fish like wrasses and butterflies for that yellow colouration. If you see most of my tanks, the fish I have as my main ‘showy’ fish is usually the one with whites or reds/pinks. Here’s my 4’ and 3’x2’ tanks (The 3’ was previous to my 4’ tank and in my garden shed).
1AD139FA-ACFD-4219-9F67-9E047B81A54B.jpeg

C462909E-E48C-4266-8492-1D8143C27676.jpeg

I agree with the yellow being eye catching, which is why I have it in some of my secondary fish like my iridis, but I will admit I’m biased to the wrasses and gobies (which is where most of my yellows come from). If I went for a mostly yellow fish though, number one on the list would be a Forcipiger longirostris for that unusual look but again, butterflies are a weak spot with me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I would think since you’re in the UK it be morning by now…..well at least later in the morning. And for Pete’s sake why is there a dog yappin at 4:30 in the morning!
Luckily she didn’t bark but she did decide to kick me out of bed to let her into the garden. The other one just looked in disgust until he got food.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you get a long clear tube longer than the height of your tank. Put it in the tank at an angle one end at or slightly below sand level the other above the water level.
Now with a funnel at the end above water level ( or however) slide the sand down the tube until it is inside the tank and it won’t cloud the water column above it.
I appreciate the suggestion but I’m not adding more sand lol.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily she didn’t bark but she did decide to kick me out of bed to let her into the garden. The other one just looked in disgust until he got food.
So you’ve got dogies of your own? What kind?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back