Back in the hobby after three years I need advice

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m getting back in the hobby after three years
I kept my old live rock and witch I’ll be reusing for my new build I power washed the rocks and let it out in the sun to dry out that was 3 years ago currently I used epoxy and super glue to re-aquascape my new 120g build my question is How should I bleach them or should I just cure them or any other suggestions I’m curious if there’s a different way I’m trying to avoid acid wash
I’ll be placing the rocks in the tub for an extended time in salt water with Rodi to either cure or/and cycle my dry rock to be live rock The only thing is I’m curious if I should cure them or whether I should just bleach them or perhaps you guys have other suggestions

F1E2CA14-F3E0-40D4-A798-718C48EDF8B3.jpeg AA8CB5F7-DAF1-4441-9AF8-3A00DFD1F5DB.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will speed up the cure. BRS has a video on this, and when I find it, I'll post here. I'd avoid the acid wash. That only gives you less rock in my book....and is dangerous.

HERE is the link containing both the video and verbiage on bleach curing.

Last edited:

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks were in my dry tank for 25yrs in my basement, I hosed them off and dropped them back into my cleaned out tank, filled the tank with water and seeded the tank with Fritz Zyme 9 and added two tangs all in one day, a year later all is well

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks were in my dry tank for 25yrs in my basement, I hosed them off and dropped them back into my cleaned out tank, filled the tank with water and seeded the tank with Fritz Zyme 9 and added two tangs all in one day, a year later all is well
That's cool so like the dry bacteria stayed good for 25 years only to come alive again when introduced to water.

OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will speed up the cure. BRS has a video on this, and when I find it, I'll post here. I'd avoid the acid wash. That only gives you less rock in my book....and is dangerous.

Is it possible for bacteria to remain after I power washed it & soaked it in tap water three years ago

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Bleaching them will remove dead organics, leaving fairly clean rock. See BRS video and after finishing tests for residual chlorine, to be on the safe side.
  • In natural way it will become wet, then starts decomposing, needing water changes.
  • Acid wash is not necessary and in my experience it was safe, if do it with much more diluted acid. With gloves, goggles, outdoors, just in case.
Nothing useful should be on the rock after drying.

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my old live rock and witch I’ll be reusing for my new build I power washed the rocks and let it out in the sun to dry out that was 3 years ago currently I used epoxy and super glue to re-aquascape my new 120g build my question is How should I bleach them or should I just cure them or any other suggestions I’m curious if there’s a different way I’m trying to avoid acid wash
I’ll be placing the rocks in the tub for an extended time in salt water with Rodi to either cure or/and cycle my dry rock to be live rock The only thing is I’m curious if I should cure them or whether I should just bleach them or perhaps you guys have other suggestions

F1E2CA14-F3E0-40D4-A798-718C48EDF8B3.jpeg AA8CB5F7-DAF1-4441-9AF8-3A00DFD1F5DB.jpeg
I was in the same situation after about 5 years. I soaked mine in bleach for a week, then let them dry out, then soaked them in water with a dechlorinator just to be sure. Once the rock tested 0 for chlorine I curred them for a few weeks in saltwater, then started the cycle in a bottle from algae barn in the rigid trash can. here is a link to the thread about that.

It's been months and the tank has been running without issue so far.

OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another question if you don’t mind I wish to do a one week bleach cure with Rodi but since I already super glued and epoxy all my rock will it ruin the integrity/strength?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo i would just put it in salt water with heater and powerhead . Let it set 2 or3 weeks check peramiters. If all good cycle it. If not change water till it is good. After cycle put clean water in to get rid of nitrates.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question if you don’t mind I wish to do a one week bleach cure with Rodi but since I already super glued and epoxy all my rock will it ruin the integrity/strength?

I can't answer definitively, but I'd surmise that both epoxy and super glue are rock solid in a bleach solution....pun intended. :D:rolleyes: As far as the bleaching, tap water will suffice....no need for RO/DI

mmadderom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not sure what purpose bleaching would serve? Kill everything? Make the rock a pretty white? Maybe I’m fortunate in that 90% of the live rock I have is Fiji rather than today’s common dry rock from some quarry that hasnt seen water in 200 years, but I’ve never, and would never, bleach my rock.

As far as curing I swear by Dr Tim’s products to jump start. And patience. But then again, I also cure rock in whatever tank it going to end up in. Makes sense to me and I’m in no hurry.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

perhaps your overthinking it, just drop and go.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
icymi since you’ve been gone looks like T5 Led hybrids have a much shorter lifespan than previously thought and Vibrants reputation took a small hit
in other trends…
Asian imported Leds are catching up
Biofilm, a new cycling approach and bacterial knowledge is now taking on a more broader scope
the salt debate and the no water change arguments still rage on with no conclusions in sight
….et et

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back