Back in w/ a Reefer 350...

governorg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone!

After a long 5 years away from the hobby (a flood in my basement destroyed my 75G reef tank) I am excited to get back in. After doing some research online I have listed out below what my purchase order will look like. In addition, I will be running my new system with the Neptune APEX Controller. Any guidance or comments is greatly appreciated, as you will see I have other questions listed throughout. Thank you in advance for your advice.

1. Red Sea Reefer 350 - always loved the look and design
2. (2) Radion Blue XR-15-G5 lights - any feedback on these vs. others would be appreciated - my experience is with LPS not SPS, but possibly interested in SPS in the future
3. (2) AI Nero 5 Wave Pump OR (2) EcoTech MP40 - I previously had MP10s and loved them, but I hear the AI Nero are also excellent
4. Quantum 120 Nyos Skimmer - previously ran a Octopus 110 - any suggestions on the skimmer
5. Neptune COR 20 Pump
6. APEX Control system
7. Live Rock - in the past I always used live rock, from what I hear this is no longer the situation, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated regarding rock

Have a wonderful 2021 and I wish you all the best!
-GovernorG

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby!

I love my Red Sea tank, you’ll love yours too. I went with 2 MP40s and am very happy with them. I would recommend using live rock if you can or at least adding some live rock if you go with dry rock. I‘m not familiar with the other equipment on your list but others will chime in.

Start a build thread so we can follow your progress. Best of luck!

OP
OP
governorg

governorg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love my Red Sea tank, you’ll love yours too. I went with 2 MP40s and am very happy with them. I would recommend using live rock if you can or at least adding some live rock if you go with dry rock. I‘m not familiar with the other equipment on your list but others will chime in.

Absolutely will build out a thread

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby and to the R2R community

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree. In hindsight I regret not using all or partial live rock

dblhelix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. In hindsight I regret not using all or partial live rock
Why do you regret not using all or partial live rock? I used to have a 90 gal reef back in the early to late 90s and used real live rock from all over the world that had feather dusters, christmas trees, sponges and all kinds of critters on it. But I don't think you can get high quality live rock like this any longer...maybe you can. But anyway, I am setting up a new 350 RS reefer and was going to built my scape out of dry rock and fill it up with corals so Im interested in knowing your answer.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back