Back to the basics.... Cycling a new tank...

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circle back to the CUC, place them in the tank mid cycle than? Is that pre algae, during algae or after the outbreak?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since they are bioload, you only place them in the tank when the tank shows the ability to digest ammonia from a few ppm to zero within 24 hours, that's the start point for any additions.

no other details regarding algae or not matter after that point, all personal choice. if you have no algae, they'll forage for tank scraps as needed. whether they are added at any point doesn't matter. im algae free with no grazers, others use grazers, all personal choices.

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is cycling, turned a whole lot of ammonia into nitrates. My question is, should I start running lights? To promote algae growth

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Bio-Spira just a week ago. It works like a charm.

Ghauck81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I see a lot of you talking about MB7. What is it and how is it used

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think damsels really help cycle. I wait a week or two, in my first tank I waited a month, then if they last a week or so, other fish are good. I personally think that its better than sitting in petco for weeks until someone feels sorry for them and puts them in a refugium. Nasty fish, my blue damsel bit my snowflakes, and that was it. I scared him into a piece of lr trying to catch him, and hes been gone well over a month.
I am new in hobby and I was wondering if the hydra 26 hd would be enough to support sps corals

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new in hobby and I was wondering if the hydra 26 hd would be enough to support sps corals

Check out Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) on YouTube. They have a lot of great informational videos. That’s what I used to get a bunch of my research done and they’re all in fairly short videos (4-7 minutes). They have a playlist called 5 minute guide to saltwater aquarium. Great info! They break it down into certain categories so you can watch videos on certain topics if you want rather than having to watch a long video picking out what you think you need.

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I see a lot of you talking about MB7. What is it and how is it used

Check out Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) on YouTube. They have a lot of great informational videos. That’s what I used to get a bunch of my research done and they’re all in fairly short videos (4-7 minutes). They have a playlist called 5 minute guide to saltwater aquarium. They break it down into certain categories (check out Fighting Algae video, using certain products like MicroBacter 7) so you can watch videos on certain topics if you want rather than having to watch a long video picking out what you think you need.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tyler Young, you are only a year or 2 late :p

1585238634155.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey we get to compare cycling advice from five years ago with today, verify accuracy based on hobby changes since then.

im going to read back from the start... this is a mini history on file for cycling practices at rtr. Let’s see if big changes happened to us in how we teach cycling. Nice zombification thread

*edit
nope, it’s the same even nowadays.
Coralline equals fully cycled :)

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just over a year:D:D just trying to help any new people trying to check this thread out. I know this because I’m just getting started and this helped me out in knowledge as I’m just getting everything picked out for my tank setup.

....and yet your advice was to direct them away from this forum. :)

If you haven't done so, start a build thread and post not only your progress to date, but also what you plan. You'll get great advice equipment and processes specific to you tank and others getting started can follow along.

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....and yet your advice was to direct them away from this forum. :)

If you haven't done so, start a build thread and post not only your progress to date, but also what you plan. You'll get great advice equipment and processes specific to you tank and others getting started can follow along.

Not necessarily away from the forum but just use the videos as a guide that helped me. I don’t know a whole lot and starting from scratch that helped me with understanding a lot of the basic things. I didn’t mean for it to seem like I was pushing them away, just use the videos as a guide and return here for additional help. And I’ll start a thread soon once I get my tank and stand set up

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dont we see Troylee here anymore, he contributed really well here

he has the longest and oldest peroxide thread on this whole forum, good cycling info too. neat trendsetter.

Last edited:

Madd20s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, last time I had a reef tank was about 12 years ago and I have decided to set up a new tank in my office. I am starting my nitrogen cycle tomorrow and my question is do run my media as if I had fish in the tank? I have a fluval 13.5 and added, filter floss, Chemi pure, Fluval biomaxx in first chamber. Carbon and Fluval rings in 2and chamber. do leave it all setup and wait for nitrogen cycle to complete or should I take it all out? should leave anything in there? Thanks in advance for the info

Back