Back wall aquascape

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took apart my tank yesterday to catch my tomini tang to put in hospital tank- seems like he is doing a little better now since he is t lethargic or scratching like he was in the display
Anyway
I want to redo my aquascape and make it a wall aquascape
Anyone know how I should do about this?
Thanks

image.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a side wall in my 29 gallon. I used eggcrate, marco cement and marco rocks. I had my return plumbing be the supports, my returns went to the bottom on both sides with a piece of eggcrate cable tied to the plumbing, then I cemented bits of rock to it. It is also supported a bit with larger pieces on the bottom.

FreeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took apart my tank yesterday to catch my tomini tang to put in hospital tank- seems like he is doing a little better now since he is t lethargic or scratching like he was in the display
Anyway
Thanks

image.jpg
Can you share some updated photos? I am thinking of doing the same thing but using tile as a support base under the sand and then building a Sea Fan shaped rack wall on the back with some NSA coming off of the wall to create kind of floating reef. I will probably have 1-2 columns coming up from the other end of the tile to the floating reef as support. I will most likely use a ton of mortar. However I don't know if this is even a good idea. Has anyone ever seen that before.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway
Thanks

image.jpg
I have done perlite cement 3D background in freshwater but it takes good 2-3 days and in case of reef tank mini cycle.
You can get foam ones relatively cheap without the risk of ill effects. Those need to be glued to the glass but takes only 1-2 hours.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I’m going to get a frame type thingy out of egg crate, then go from there
Edit: Actually, maybe not
I’ll just start stacking and hope for the best lol

FreeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished my aquascaping over weekend. I hope this works. The base is made of two stone tiles I bought for $3. I used coral glue and reef safe mortart to put it all together. The tank will have a large sand bed and 2 other rock strutures. One will be an arch type for a fish to hid under and a zoa garden to be on top. The other rock will hold an anenome cup with other corals. I plan on growing SPS and some LPS on the shelves. Softies will grow on the lower rocks and column. I will put a couple of encrusting corals on the back wall. Let me know what you think.

Back Wall Rock.png

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you went with more of a NSA
I like it
Will look super cool when corals and coralline have encrusted all of it!

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've done this to my old 55 gal. Start a few inches away from glass w base rock. stack up and in as you go up. leaves plenty of hiding areas. just find a spot to put a pwr head or something to make sure water is moving the detritus. i used a gyre. workd perfect

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back